Crewe Primitive Methodist chapel
The Primitive Methodist magazine for 1855 contains an account by S Morris (although that name is hard to read) of the opening of Crewe Primitive Methodist chapel. It’s not clear which Crewe chapel this one became (these accounts never give an address or location), but it could be Heath Street chapel. An article in the Christian Messenger in 1901 dates Heath Street as 1854 which is when the building work probably started as the chapel opened in March 1855
“CREWE, BURLAND CIRCUIT.— Dear Editor,
About some fifteen years ago, Crewe was first missioned by our denomination ; and although at that time considerable difficulty was experienced, through perseverance, success crowned the efforts of our brethren, two of our local preachers, who have long done us much credit, and rendered us much service. A house was obtained in which to preach, and a society was formed, which continued to increase until it was found necessary to provide enlarged accommodation, which was accomplished by building a commodious chapel This, however, through the almost ceaseless influx of mechanics and other persons to this new and rising town, and the prosperity with which God crowned our efforts, soon became too strait for us ; so that a larger place of worship became a desideratum. The old premises were accordingly disposed of, and a suitable site of land, upon which to build a new chapel and schools, was purchased of Messrs. S. and M. Heath. Plans and specifications were pre pared by Messrs. S. Heath, Thomas Hall, and Edwin Hall, who also contracted for and executed the building in a satisfactory manner.
The outside of the premises is 57 feet long by 36 feet wide. The size of the chapel inside is 39 feet long by 33 feet 6 inches wide, and 23 feet high from the ground floor to the ceiling. The schools are 33 feet 6 inches long by 17 feet wide. The front of the chapel is cased with dressed bricks, and in the whole of the building are 23 windows of a proportionate size. There are galleries on both sides and the front end, four pews deep, which are neatly painted ; and it will accommodate with sittings, below and above, from 400 to 500 persons. There is an opening behind the pulpit 13 feet wide and 8 feet high, with a sliding partition, to give accommodation to the Sabbath-scholars to sit in the upper school during Di vine service, if need be. The chapel is well ventilated, and the ceiling ornamented with a neat cornice, four handsome flowers, and a fine centre-piece.
The first openings of this beautiful edifice took place in March, 1855, when able sermons were preached by Miss M. C. Buck, of Leicester; Messrs. W. Sanderson, of Scotter; and T. Bateman, of Chorley ; when the collections amounted to £83. The last opening was on June 25th, 1855, when a tea-party was held in the Cheese- hall, kindly lent for the occasion by the proprietor, J. Hill, Esq. Perhaps not fewer than 650 persons partook of the cup which cheers but not inebriates. The provision made for this vast assemblage was principally furnished gratuitously by our friends at Crewe and a few others. When tea was over, the assembly adjourned to the chapel, and were addressed, with considerable effect, by Messrs. S. Heath, of Crewe, who occupied the chair ; T. Wood, of Nantwich ; S. Sanders, of Newcastle under- Lyme ; T. Bateman, of Chorley ; and the writer. We believe no tea-party ever held hi this circuit gave more general satisfaction than the one in question. We realized on this occasion upwards of 231. Our outlay altogether is about £800., towards the one-third of which we have obtained, on the voluntary principle, about £225. Hitherto the Lord hath helped us ! We intend not to rest until we have obtained the remaining part of the one-third of the entire outlay.
We are grateful to all who have in any way assisted us in this important undertaking, whose names are too numerous to mention. I am glad to say, that since the opening, many have already professed to find peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ May the number rapidly increase ! “
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1855 p.557