The opening of Hickling Primitive Methodist chapel is reported in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1838. We are told little, except that after missioning the village they started building a chapel “rather prematurely”.
Eventually however, the difficulties overcome and the chapel opened “about Michaelmas” 1836. All the formalities were completed in March 1837. Despite the rocky start, things were looking up – “we have a large congregation and an increasing society. It is an excellent country chapel; and within its walls have often assembled more than 200 souls.”
The 1836 chpel must have been replaced. The current Hickling Methodist chapel in Hickling Green is the former Primitive Methodist building. It carries the datestone 1882.
The magazine in 1897 tells us that ” a new school room has been added to the excellent premises occupied by the church at Hickling village, on the edge of Hickling Road, Norfolk”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1838 page 68
Primitive Methodist magazine 1897 page 153