Froghall Primitive Methodist chapel
The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1862 contains a list of places where the foundation stone for a new Primitive Methodist chapel had been recently laid. Amongst them was the foundation stone for Froghall Primitive Methodist chapel. This account is written by W Rooke.
“Froghall, Ramsor Circuit.— On Tuesday, June 17, the foundation stone of a new chapel, was laid at this little rising village, by W. S. Allen, Esq., of Woodhead-hall. The site, which has been kindly given by Mr. John Birch, of Froghall Mills, occupies a very central situation near the toll-bar, and is within a short distance of the railway station.
The ceremony commenced by singing and prayer ; Mr. Allen then adjusted the stone, after which in a few brief but appropriate remarks, he spoke of the usefulness of such buildings, which were much needed in that locality. Addresses were also delivered by the Rev. W. Rooke, of Alton ; and Mr. G. Charlesworth, of Cheadle. A collection was made at the close of the ceremony in aid of the building fund, which amounted to £10, including ,£5 given by Mr. Allen.
The building is to be of brick, and of the ordinary plain character. A tea party took place on the recreation ground, called the “roundhill,” on Kingsley Banks, a spot which commands an extensive view of the Churnet valley, and its enchanting scenery. The weather was very unfavourable, but a spacious tent had been erected for the occasion, and about 350 persons sat down to the repast.
Mr. Isaac Hammond, of Cheadle, presided, and gave a very interesting account of the operations of the Primitive Methodists in the locality for the last forty-six years. Addresses were also delivered by the Rev. W. Rooke, and Messrs. Kent, Charlesworth, Tunnicliffe, and Beach. The proceedings were enlivened at inter vals by a band of music. The profits from the tea-party amounted to £G, which were added to the collection. W. Rooke. “
In the 1863 magazine, he tells us about the opening:
“Froghall, Ramsor Station.—Froghall is a rising village within the precincts of Kingsley and Ipstones parishes, surrounded by romantic and varied scenery of hill and dale : and through which runs the river Churnett, which divides the two parishes. It is now a place of considerable importance, on account of the extensive iron stone works, lime-stone works, and coal works, which are carried on in it, and in its vicinity.
The name of Froghall is connected with the early history of our Connexion. But of late years it has been lying desert like, for want of a preaching place. Within the last twelve months, it has been remissioned by Brother W. Beech, and others ; and, although we had to meet with discouragements at first, the Lord opened the way. A room was lent us gratuitously, wherein to hold our religious services ; and then the Almighty poured out His Spirit, and several souls were brought in. Soon inquiries were made for land for a chapel. Mr. John Birch, of Froghall Mill, kindly gave us a very eligible site, adjoining the public road, and near the railway.
Proper steps were accordingly taken preparatory to commencing building. And in June last, the foundation stone was laid by W. S. Allen, Esq., of Woodhead Hall, who gave, us a donation of £5. The chapel is 30 feet by 24 ; and 13 feet from the level of the floor to the wall plate. It is built of brick, and covered with slate. It has a boarded floor, with eight elevated news ; six windows, cast frames, 6 feet 0. by 2 feet 6 ; a first rate octagonal pulpit. A room underneath the elevated pews for a schoolroom, capable of accommodating thirty or forty children. The chapel is ceiled and plastered to the sidepieces, and the front is nicely palisaded.
It was opened for reli gious worship on Lord’s day, August 31st, by brother R. Jukes, of West Bromwich ; and on September 21st, by Mr. W. Gilbert (Wesleyan), of Hilderstone. The collections amounted to £20 I6s. 9d. The total cost of the chapel, &c, is about £160, towards which we have raised one third. The chapel is capable of accommodating 150 persons with seats, and the sittings are nearly all let. We acknowledge our gratitude to Mr. J. Birch and family for the site of land and other assistance, and to all others who have assisted us in our undertaking”
The 1880 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive chapel just north of Froghall Bridge where the road forks. It is labelled in 1927 but by 1967 the footprint of the building is there, but there is no label. Street View in 2017 shows that the area has been cleared.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1862 page 696 -697
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1863 page 173