Hugh Bourne's Journal, 1837-38

From the Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838


Burland circuit. — Sunday, December 24, I attended the Sunday school at Burland, and preached to the children.  I also led a class.  Afternoon and night, preached the anniversary sermons in Ravensmoor chapel.

Monday, December 25.  Christmas-day .–Afternoon and evening, preached at the opening of Whillimoor new chapel.

The converting work is running well in different parts of Burland circuit.

Chester circuit. — Wednesday 27. — Walked fifteen miles to Chester.  Saw Brother Lea.  At night, Brother Jones from Burland having come, he and I preached in our chapel at Chester.

In various parts of this circuit the work of the Lord is going on rapidly.  To his name be the glory.

Liverpool circuit. — Thursday 28. — Saw Brother Kaye, and Brother George Horbury.  Preached at night in our chapel, in Maguire-street, Liverpool.  In the prayer meeting after, one soul professed to be made happy in the Lord.  She resides at a place in the town which they have begun to open; and the friends hoped her conversion would forward the work there.

Liverpool circuit is doing well; and in some places the converting work is proceeding.

Preston Brook circuit. — Sunday, December 31, 1837. — Preached two missionary sermons at Runcorn.  The prayer meeting after the evening preaching was powerful, and some were wrought on.  Our brethren afterwards assembled and held a watch-night.

Monday, January 1, 1838. — Missionary meeting in our chapel at Northwich.  It was powerful; and in the prayer meeting, several found liberty.

Yesterday Brother Judson from Warrington circuit, preached missionary sermons in this chapel, and, I was informed, four souls were converted to God.  To him be glory and honour.

Tuesday 2. — Missionary meeting at Kingsley.  This went well.  The speakers were me and Bros. Lee and Judson.

Wednesday 3. — Missionary meeting at Runcorn.  A closely crowded congregation, and a powerful time.

The converting work is going on well in Preston Brook circuit.  And Brother Judson informed us, that the work was going on well in Warrington circuit.  This is cause of thankfulness to Almighty God.

Thursday, Jan. 4, 1838. — I came eighteen miles by the railway, and then walked about fourteen or fifteen miles to Bemersley.

H. B.


Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1838.  Pages 106-107.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *