Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

Photo:1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1994

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel' page
Photo:1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below

1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below

photo taken by Ray 3/10/2015

Photo:The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted.

The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted.

Ray & Marie

Photo:The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted.  There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel.

The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted. There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel.

Ray & Marie

Photo:After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used.

After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used.

Ray & Marie (see comment below)

Photo:Insurance Certificate

Insurance Certificate

Ray & Marie - see comment below

Photo:'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'.

'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'.

Ray & Marie (see comment below)

Photo:Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Ray & Marie

Photo:Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Ray & Marie

location of 1839 and 1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapels

Willoughby Road Cumberworth LN13 9LF

By Christopher Hill

The first Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1839. Keith Guyler's photograph shows it as a store. The later chapel is just two doors away.

Keith Guyler's notes say the second chapel dates from 1853/1857 and served until 1947.  The chapel became the schoolroom to the neighbouring (ex-United Methodist) chapel. Later it became the village hall.

This may not be correct; it may be that the 1853 chapel is the United Methodist chapel.

location of the chapels: 504732

================

After Keith Guyler's photograph was published here, visitors to this page provided further information about whether the chapel shown is indeed the Prim one; see the comments below.  Thanks for clarifying.

================

Ray and Marie, the current owners of the now converted chapel, have also provided photos and added more fascinating information from their research. See the comments below.

================

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/10/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist Chapel, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.: The inscription on the plaque over the door reads "Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859".

When it closed it is said it was used by the school further down the road for recreation and teaching. The school when closed became a private home. The chapel then was purchased by the owner of the "Christmas Cottage" next-door, then linked in the middle with a small conservatory type porch. Both the cottage and chapel have been refurbished. The whole joint properties have been Sold (STC) recently. The chapel plaque will be kept and given another restoration.

The United Methodist chapel actually became a private home earlier. There was also a Wesleyan chapel in the village. There is a parish church also.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 09/10/2015

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear about the retention of the plaque; many have disappeared or been defaced when the building was no longer a chapel.

By Christopher Hill
On 09/10/2015

Extra: There are two sets of deeds for the now joined property and when the ones for the chapel are looked at and if there is a mention of ownership at the time it was sold previously, or when it became redundant, it may state who it was purchased from, i.e., the local education department if it was used by the village school, or the administrators within the Methodist Circuit. If the "latter", then it was used for teaching children from the United Methodist chapel.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 09/10/2015

Thanks Ray and Marie for photo, clearly showing 'Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859'. The photo has been added above.

By Jill Barber
On 10/10/2015

Update: the deeds have yet to be looked-at. However, via a Google-Sat-Map the picture taken in 1994 showing a side-view is actually the old United Methodist Chapel; also in Willoughby Road further into the village.

With the Google-Sat-Map it can be used to zoom down to Willoughby Road then continue along it. There is the large chimney flue on the roof of the former United Methodist Chapel and the former Primitive Methodist Chapel does not have one; at least not now or never.

The other 1995 picture of a front view is indeed the Primitive Methodist Chapel, not built in 1839 but 1859.

Note: The Google Sat-Maps are one to three years old or more.

By Ray & Marie
On 13/10/2015

That makes sense; thanks

By Christopher Hill
On 13/10/2015

The ex-Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was on Ings Lane, Cumberworth. It is shown on a OS map year 1907 but just the form Meth.Chapel printed. On a OS map year 1888 the Primitive Methodist Chapel is shown on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth.

Indeed, the picture with a tall chimney flue is the former United Methodist Chapel, also on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth. 

By Ray & Marie
On 15/10/2015

Hello again,

We now know that the former Primitive Methodist Chapel when it was redundant and the congregation having joined the United Methodist Chapel further up Willoughby Rd.,  became a Methodist children's Sunday School room, then when the United Methodist Chapel closed the former P.M.C. was then sold. Planning permission was granted in year 2000 to convert and link the P.M.C. to the cottage.  

By Ray & Marie
On 04/12/2015

Sorted!  Thanks for the additional information Ray and Marie

By Christopher Hill
On 05/12/2015

Our visitation to the archives in Lincoln, 23rd March 2016:

Some gleamings from our findings:

Primitive Methodist, Alford Circuit, Oct., Nov., Dec., 1909, Harvest Festival, Cumberworth, Oct 24th and 28th Tea and sale.

Jan.25th, 1909, Organ purchased £8.12s. 0d, Music Stool 5s.6d.

18th March 1909, That the American Organ bought by Joseph Kirk be taken over as chapel property at the sum of £8.12s.0d., signed by Thomas North, chairman.

25th Jan.1909, old organ sold for £0.19s.0d. chapel key £0.1s.0d. 2 doz Sacred Songs, total £0.7s.4d.

Harvest Festivals 1908, £4..1s.7d and coal £0.6s.3d.

Miss A.Brown re-elected organist, Feb. 10th, 1910.

The ref. numbers for the records can be given if anyone wants to visit the archives to view them and take their notes, once again our list above and below are "gleamings".

April 3rd. to June 1921, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 6.30pm. Local Preachers E.Kirkby and S.Brown.

April, May, June, 1922, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 7pm.

April, May, June, 1908, Exhortees, Cumberworth Mission Band?

....................................

Notes by us:

there is little survival of the chapel's records.

Tea Meetings also were in the chapel. However, there is no mains water supply so possibly kettles of water were take in to boil or a tea urn. There was recorded price of coal but no burner in the former chapel today. There would not have been electricity in 1859 when built. The purchase of oil is recorded and this would be for oil lamps before electricity was installed.

Kind regards, Ray & Marie 

By Ray & Marie
On 24/03/2016

Extra regarding our visit to the archives in Lincoln:

The archives were interested in our original PMC 1859 deed/indenture with wax seals still intact, so we took it with us for them to make and keep a colour copy and a courtesy copy for us plus a Disc.

The original was too big to copy has a whole so it was copied in reduced scale in 4 sections. We brought the original back home with us to file with other deeds. Soon the archives will allocate a collection number for their copy and cite us has owners of the original.

In the former chapel is now an electric wood/coal effect burner.

Regards, Ray & Marie

By Ray & Marie
On 24/03/2016

Note: one of the account books for the former PMC has very little written in it but in the middle of the book (no numbered pages) there is some written information yet blank pages before and after. We nearly over-looked these pages and it is possible that others may have missed-out on them.

We don't know what happened to the replacement American organ or if it was hand bellowed air pumped or an early electric type.

There is documentation for the former United Methodist Chapel at the archives in Lincoln but these were not searched by us.

Kind regards, Ray & Marie.

..................

(Raymond E.O.Ella, author-historian, retired). www.google.co.uk 

.........................

By Ray & Marie
On 30/03/2016

The Primitive Methodist Magazine, November 1859, part page 684:

CHAPEL OPENINGS.

1. CUMBERWORTH, ALFORD, [in Lincs].

BRANCH - Dear Brother - Cumberworth is a village at which we, as a section of the Church of Christ, have laboured for more than twenty years. We have been much inconvenienced for want of a suitable place of worship, having always to be confined to small cottages; the last winter we were blessed with an outpouring of spirit, and there arose a great desire for a chapel; the Lord opened our way, a cottage and a large garden were purchased by our old friend Mr.Kirk, part of the garden he sold to us, on which we have built, by Connexional authority, a comfortable chapel, 25 feet 6 inches long, by 17 feet within, 12 feet high to the ceiling, and covered with blue states. The floor is boarded; there are four windows; twelve elevated seats capable of seating seventy in pews, and thirty free [!] sittings. This beautiful little chapel was opened for divine worship on Sunday, July 31st, 1859, which three sermons were preached by the Rev.T.Whitehead from Louth, to very large congregations, a great number of hearers had to stand in the street, and the presence of the Lord was graciously felt.

On Monday, August 1st, a gratuitous tea was provided by our kind friends, which realized £3.14s.; after tea a public meeting of a very interesting character was held in the chapel, at which J.Maltby, Esq., from Louth, presided, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. T.Whitehead, J.North, and W. Coulson; the opening collection, including the tea, amounted to £9.11s. 4 (and a halve pence) d.; a sum very creditable for a village of about 200 inhabitants. We hope this sanctuary will be the birth-place of many souls. The total cost, of the chapel will be about £71; towards which we have collected up-wards of £30. We are obliged to the farmers who kindly led us all the materials free of cost, and also to the friends who supplied the tea. Praying they may have their reward in this world an hundredfold, and in the world to come life everlasting.

JOHN NORTH.

......................................................

By Ray & Marie
On 07/04/2016

Update

There are now three windows and apart from the front door the fourth window is now a side door for the linkage to the cottage. In the original 1859 deed with wax seals there is a plan outlining measurements of 11 yards long by 7 yards in width and it is also written in words for the granting to build. These measurements are for a boundary and measurements from wall to walls is less. The deed mentions that the chapel is also to be used has a school. Note: the chapel was never a home to live in until it was linked with the cottage and then became a lounge.

By Ray & Marie
On 08/04/2016

Cumberworth Parish Meetings:

The former Clerk for the meetings kindly loaned me the minutes book dating from the 1890s and meetings were held in the former PM chapel and Schoolroom, although it continued being a worship-chapel and schoolroom for the Primitive Methodists.

Often entries in the book referred to various terms for the meeting-place thus:

The Schoolroom. The Old Chapel. Chapel Schoolroom. However, after the unification of Methodists there are entries c. after 1932/3 in the book using the term The Methodist Schoolroom, also The Old Chapel and The Old Reform Chapel. Some meetings were held in the church vestry and this would be St.Helens Parish Church in Cumberworth.

When the PM chapel and Schoolroom was sold parish meetings were held in the [Primitive?] Methodist Chapel in nearby Mumby village c. from 1999 and from c.2007 meetings were held in Mumby Parish Church for Cumberworth parish where they are still held today.

Some gleaming's from the book of minutes:

March 28th 1916. The Chairman adjourned the meeting because no one attended. There had been a severe storm and blizzard, the storm was said to have been the worse for many years.

September 21st 1990. The Parish Church (St.Helens) had been sold and a mention that it is a listed building.

Sunday 2nd June 2002. Golden Jubilee Celebration to be held with Jubilee Mugs given to the village children.

May 19th 2004. The recycling blue boxes will be replaced by Wheelie (Wheely) Bins.

Today there are women Methodist ministers and also same with some other religious denominations. However, the Primitive Methodists were trend-setters in gender equality and had travelling women preachers giving sermons in open spaces and in their chapels being built. 

Regards,

Ray and on behalf of my wife Marie. 

By Ray & Marie
On 16/05/2016

CHAPEL OF THE MONTH, JUNE 2016  :

www.chapelssociety.org.uk

By Ray & Marie
On 12/06/2016

A good neighbour lives at the bungalow on the left of the former UM chapel and she is within ownership of it. Her daughter has the old black wooden notice board once on an exterior wall. We were kindly sent a picture of it and allowed to make a posting with it. You will see that it just had Cumberworth Methodist Church (but not chapel) on it and giving times, but it is not known if it is c.1930s or later.

Kind regards.
Ray & Marie, at Christmas Cottage, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.

By Ray & Marie
On 21/06/2016

Lincoln Archives:

Recent deposit: Ref. Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1, Conveyance of Chapel Site, year 1859 (photocopy, original with wax seals still intact amongst Mr. & Mrs. Ella’s property deeds).

Deposits already in the public keep of Lincoln Archives:

Meth/B/Alford [circuit] P/H/1/10.  Meth/B/Alford[circuit] P/H/1/12.  Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/13.

By Ray & Marie
On 12/07/2016

The lady who lives at the bungalow on the left of the other former chapel (United Methodist Chapel, later Cumberworth Methodist Church), kindly loaned us to copy a Primitive Methodist Insurance Policy Certificate dated 1st of July 1900 with later amendments, May 1901 and 30th of August 1910.

This is in a picture frame and we were allowed to remove it to have it copied later, then placed back into the frame and return it to the now owner, although it was once at the former Primitive Methodist Chapel perhaps before c.1932 or 1947. Until we have it copied/scanned, we have taken a picture of it (see above). The clarity is not brilliant, but here are some wordings:

“Whereas The Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cumberworth, Alford, Station [circuit] ..........................(etc.)”.

.......................................

“[Further down the Certificate ] Signed: George Seaman and Joseph Smith, Directors and Robert Hind, Secretary”.

Queen Victoria died in 1901 yet the stamp has what was referred to has her young head; on the stamp is written Inland Revenue, later the same is written on the king’s stamp.

By Ray & Marie
On 27/07/2016

Lincoln Archives:

In a previous posting we listed documents mainly for the United Methodist Chapel in Cumberworth. Here now is a listing of documents for The Primitive Methodist Chapel we had searched: 

Trustees, Chapel Registration, Deeds & Title to Property, year 1859, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1. (Original Title Deed shown to Lincoln Archives by us and they having made a copy of it and an extra copy with a Disc copy also kindly given to us).

....................

Trust & Committees, Meth/Cumberworh, Primitive/C.

Registers of Membership, Primitive/Meth/C/Cumberworth/A.

Circuit Records, Meth/B.

Trust Minutes & Account Book, 1909-10, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive/C/1/1.

Note:some documents still not catalogued, temporary ref. Meth/Deposit.

..........................

Regards,

Ray & Marie.

Post-Script: I am (Ray) in the process of restoring our P.M. Chapel's stone plaque and hope when completed to post a picture of it. 

 

By Ray & Marie
On 22/10/2016

Thank you Ray for the photographs of the repaired plaque, which have now been added.

By Jill Barber
On 25/10/2016

hi Ray and Marie.  It was a lovely sunny morning today so I decided to walk to Christmas Cottage.  Sorry not to catch you in, because I wanted to ask a favour of you.  On Tuesday the 27 June I have a couple of US visitors who would like to see some of our local heritage.

By James Johnson
On 19/02/2017

Hello James,

Yes that will be fine. Marie was working and I thought the door bell sounded. I was at the end of the back garden tidying up the shed.

Ray & Mare.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 27/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.