Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

1839 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1995

Photo:1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1994

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel' page
Photo:1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below

1859 Primitive Methodist Chapel plaque over door, see comments below

photo taken by Ray 3/10/2015

Photo:The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted.

The vaulted ceiling is not shown in this picture of our now lounge pre-December 2015. The front former chapel door is on the left and near the red cupboard housing the electric meter. The door on the right is entered via our linked cottage through a small conservatory type porch, part of the year 2000 planning granted.

Ray & Marie

Photo:The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted.  There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel.

The interior is as it was from year 2000 when planning permission was granted to modernise inside and link it to Christmas Cottage. The former chapel was electrically re-wired, electric stove effect fire fitted, 2 electric radiators, new floor, new lighting, the decaying windows replaced with wooden double glazed ones, a damp proof course injected, insulation behind new panelling then painted. There is only electricity, no water, but via the linkage beverages and food can be taken into our former chapel.

Ray & Marie

Photo:After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used.

After the Unification of Methodists in 1932, sometime after the word United was not used.

Ray & Marie (see comment below)

Photo:Insurance Certificate

Insurance Certificate

Ray & Marie - see comment below

Photo:'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'.

'Chapel of the Month June 2016 by The Chapels Society'.

Ray & Marie (see comment below)

Photo:Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Ray & Marie

Photo:Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Repaired plaque, Oct 2016

Ray & Marie

Photo:Aerial photograph from 1960's

Aerial photograph from 1960's

Provided by Ray & Marie -see comment below dated 22 June 2017

Photo:Picture we have of our Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel & Sunday School Room taken 26th June 1965.  Notice front and rear wooden communal posts for utility cables. There is no mains gas or water. (We have another similar picture of this one on a 35 mm glass slide and that at a Lincolnshire Library).

Picture we have of our Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel & Sunday School Room taken 26th June 1965. Notice front and rear wooden communal posts for utility cables. There is no mains gas or water. (We have another similar picture of this one on a 35 mm glass slide and that at a Lincolnshire Library).

Ray & Marie

Photo:Ariel photograph we have of part of Willoughby Road., Cumberworth, taken 23rd March, 1973. The road was wider on the other side from roadside properties. The United Methodist Chapel (later Cumberworth Methodist Church) is on the far left. On the far right is the PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom.

Ariel photograph we have of part of Willoughby Road., Cumberworth, taken 23rd March, 1973. The road was wider on the other side from roadside properties. The United Methodist Chapel (later Cumberworth Methodist Church) is on the far left. On the far right is the PM Chapel & Sunday Schoolroom.

Ray & Marie

Photo:Insurance Certificate - see comments below

Insurance Certificate - see comments below

Ray & Marie Ella

Photo:Frontage of the old chapel - November 2017

Frontage of the old chapel - November 2017

Ray & Marie Ella

location of 1839 and 1853 Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapels

Willoughby Road Cumberworth LN13 9LF

By Christopher Hill

The first Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel dates from 1839. Keith Guyler's photograph shows it as a store. The later chapel is just two doors away.

Keith Guyler's notes say the second chapel dates from 1853/1857 and served until 1947.  The chapel became the schoolroom to the neighbouring (ex-United Methodist) chapel. Later it became the village hall.

This may not be correct; it may be that the 1853 chapel is the United Methodist chapel.

location of the chapels: 504732


After Keith Guyler's photograph was published here, visitors to this page provided further information about whether the chapel shown is indeed the Prim one; see the comments below.  Thanks for clarifying.


Ray and Marie, the current owners of the now converted chapel, have also provided photos and added more fascinating information from their research. See the comments below.


In the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1859 (page 684) John North writes about the opening of Cumberworth Primitive Methodist chapel on Sunday July 31st 1859. He explains that there had been a Revival in the winter of 1858-9 and so Mr Kirk sold the trustees part of the large garden  that came with the house he had just bought and a chapel was built. The total cost was £70 of which £30 had been raised at the time of opening.

The new chapel measured 25'6" x 17', was 12' to the ceiling, had a boarded floor and seated 100.

T Whitehead (Louth) preached at the opening and at the subsequent tea meeting, speakers were J Maltby (Louth), T Whitehead, J North and W Coulson

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 05/10/2015.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist Chapel, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.: The inscription on the plaque over the door reads "Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859".

When it closed it is said it was used by the school further down the road for recreation and teaching. The school when closed became a private home. The chapel then was purchased by the owner of the "Christmas Cottage" next-door, then linked in the middle with a small conservatory type porch. Both the cottage and chapel have been refurbished. The whole joint properties have been Sold (STC) recently. The chapel plaque will be kept and given another restoration.

The United Methodist chapel actually became a private home earlier. There was also a Wesleyan chapel in the village. There is a parish church also.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 09/10/2015

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear about the retention of the plaque; many have disappeared or been defaced when the building was no longer a chapel.

By Christopher Hill
On 09/10/2015

Extra: There are two sets of deeds for the now joined property and when the ones for the chapel are looked at and if there is a mention of ownership at the time it was sold previously, or when it became redundant, it may state who it was purchased from, i.e., the local education department if it was used by the village school, or the administrators within the Methodist Circuit. If the "latter", then it was used for teaching children from the United Methodist chapel.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 09/10/2015

Thanks Ray and Marie for photo, clearly showing 'Primitive Methodist Chapel 1859'. The photo has been added above.

By Jill Barber
On 10/10/2015

Update: the deeds have yet to be looked-at. However, via a Google-Sat-Map the picture taken in 1994 showing a side-view is actually the old United Methodist Chapel; also in Willoughby Road further into the village.

With the Google-Sat-Map it can be used to zoom down to Willoughby Road then continue along it. There is the large chimney flue on the roof of the former United Methodist Chapel and the former Primitive Methodist Chapel does not have one; at least not now or never.

The other 1995 picture of a front view is indeed the Primitive Methodist Chapel, not built in 1839 but 1859.

Note: The Google Sat-Maps are one to three years old or more.

By Ray & Marie
On 13/10/2015

That makes sense; thanks

By Christopher Hill
On 13/10/2015

The ex-Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was on Ings Lane, Cumberworth. It is shown on a OS map year 1907 but just the form Meth.Chapel printed. On a OS map year 1888 the Primitive Methodist Chapel is shown on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth.

Indeed, the picture with a tall chimney flue is the former United Methodist Chapel, also on Willoughby Road, Cumberworth. 

By Ray & Marie
On 15/10/2015

Hello again,

We now know that the former Primitive Methodist Chapel when it was redundant and the congregation having joined the United Methodist Chapel further up Willoughby Rd.,  became a Methodist children's Sunday School room, then when the United Methodist Chapel closed the former P.M.C. was then sold. Planning permission was granted in year 2000 to convert and link the P.M.C. to the cottage.  

By Ray & Marie
On 04/12/2015

Sorted!  Thanks for the additional information Ray and Marie

By Christopher Hill
On 05/12/2015

Our visitation to the archives in Lincoln, 23rd March 2016:

Some gleamings from our findings:

Primitive Methodist, Alford Circuit, Oct., Nov., Dec., 1909, Harvest Festival, Cumberworth, Oct 24th and 28th Tea and sale.

Jan.25th, 1909, Organ purchased £8.12s. 0d, Music Stool 5s.6d.

18th March 1909, That the American Organ bought by Joseph Kirk be taken over as chapel property at the sum of £8.12s.0d., signed by Thomas North, chairman.

25th Jan.1909, old organ sold for £0.19s.0d. chapel key £0.1s.0d. 2 doz Sacred Songs, total £0.7s.4d.

Harvest Festivals 1908, £4..1s.7d and coal £0.6s.3d.

Miss A.Brown re-elected organist, Feb. 10th, 1910.

The ref. numbers for the records can be given if anyone wants to visit the archives to view them and take their notes, once again our list above and below are "gleamings".

April 3rd. to June 1921, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 6.30pm. Local Preachers E.Kirkby and S.Brown.

April, May, June, 1922, Cumberworth [worship times] Sunday 2pm and 6pm. Monday 7pm.

April, May, June, 1908, Exhortees, Cumberworth Mission Band?


Notes by us:

there is little survival of the chapel's records.

Tea Meetings also were in the chapel. However, there is no mains water supply so possibly kettles of water were take in to boil or a tea urn. There was recorded price of coal but no burner in the former chapel today. There would not have been electricity in 1859 when built. The purchase of oil is recorded and this would be for oil lamps before electricity was installed.

Kind regards, Ray & Marie 

By Ray & Marie
On 24/03/2016

Extra regarding our visit to the archives in Lincoln:

The archives were interested in our original PMC 1859 deed/indenture with wax seals still intact, so we took it with us for them to make and keep a colour copy and a courtesy copy for us plus a Disc.

The original was too big to copy has a whole so it was copied in reduced scale in 4 sections. We brought the original back home with us to file with other deeds. Soon the archives will allocate a collection number for their copy and cite us has owners of the original.

In the former chapel is now an electric wood/coal effect burner.

Regards, Ray & Marie

By Ray & Marie
On 24/03/2016

Note: one of the account books for the former PMC has very little written in it but in the middle of the book (no numbered pages) there is some written information yet blank pages before and after. We nearly over-looked these pages and it is possible that others may have missed-out on them.

We don't know what happened to the replacement American organ or if it was hand bellowed air pumped or an early electric type.

There is documentation for the former United Methodist Chapel at the archives in Lincoln but these were not searched by us.

Kind regards, Ray & Marie.


(Raymond E.O.Ella, author-historian, retired). 


By Ray & Marie
On 30/03/2016

The Primitive Methodist Magazine, November 1859, part page 684:



BRANCH - Dear Brother - Cumberworth is a village at which we, as a section of the Church of Christ, have laboured for more than twenty years. We have been much inconvenienced for want of a suitable place of worship, having always to be confined to small cottages; the last winter we were blessed with an outpouring of spirit, and there arose a great desire for a chapel; the Lord opened our way, a cottage and a large garden were purchased by our old friend Mr.Kirk, part of the garden he sold to us, on which we have built, by Connexional authority, a comfortable chapel, 25 feet 6 inches long, by 17 feet within, 12 feet high to the ceiling, and covered with blue states. The floor is boarded; there are four windows; twelve elevated seats capable of seating seventy in pews, and thirty free [!] sittings. This beautiful little chapel was opened for divine worship on Sunday, July 31st, 1859, which three sermons were preached by the Rev.T.Whitehead from Louth, to very large congregations, a great number of hearers had to stand in the street, and the presence of the Lord was graciously felt.

On Monday, August 1st, a gratuitous tea was provided by our kind friends, which realized £3.14s.; after tea a public meeting of a very interesting character was held in the chapel, at which J.Maltby, Esq., from Louth, presided, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. T.Whitehead, J.North, and W. Coulson; the opening collection, including the tea, amounted to £9.11s. 4 (and a halve pence) d.; a sum very creditable for a village of about 200 inhabitants. We hope this sanctuary will be the birth-place of many souls. The total cost, of the chapel will be about £71; towards which we have collected up-wards of £30. We are obliged to the farmers who kindly led us all the materials free of cost, and also to the friends who supplied the tea. Praying they may have their reward in this world an hundredfold, and in the world to come life everlasting.



By Ray & Marie
On 07/04/2016


There are now three windows and apart from the front door the fourth window is now a side door for the linkage to the cottage. In the original 1859 deed with wax seals there is a plan outlining measurements of 11 yards long by 7 yards in width and it is also written in words for the granting to build. These measurements are for a boundary and measurements from wall to walls is less. The deed mentions that the chapel is also to be used has a school. Note: the chapel was never a home to live in until it was linked with the cottage and then became a lounge.

By Ray & Marie
On 08/04/2016

Cumberworth Parish Meetings:

The former Clerk for the meetings kindly loaned me the minutes book dating from the 1890s and meetings were held in the former PM chapel and Schoolroom, although it continued being a worship-chapel and schoolroom for the Primitive Methodists.

Often entries in the book referred to various terms for the meeting-place thus:

The Schoolroom. The Old Chapel. Chapel Schoolroom. However, after the unification of Methodists there are entries c. after 1932/3 in the book using the term The Methodist Schoolroom, also The Old Chapel and The Old Reform Chapel. Some meetings were held in the church vestry and this would be St.Helens Parish Church in Cumberworth.

When the PM chapel and Schoolroom was sold parish meetings were held in the [Primitive?] Methodist Chapel in nearby Mumby village c. from 1999 and from c.2007 meetings were held in Mumby Parish Church for Cumberworth parish where they are still held today.

Some gleaming's from the book of minutes:

March 28th 1916. The Chairman adjourned the meeting because no one attended. There had been a severe storm and blizzard, the storm was said to have been the worse for many years.

September 21st 1990. The Parish Church (St.Helens) had been sold and a mention that it is a listed building.

Sunday 2nd June 2002. Golden Jubilee Celebration to be held with Jubilee Mugs given to the village children.

May 19th 2004. The recycling blue boxes will be replaced by Wheelie (Wheely) Bins.

Today there are women Methodist ministers and also same with some other religious denominations. However, the Primitive Methodists were trend-setters in gender equality and had travelling women preachers giving sermons in open spaces and in their chapels being built. 


Ray and on behalf of my wife Marie. 

By Ray & Marie
On 16/05/2016


By Ray & Marie
On 12/06/2016

A good neighbour lives at the bungalow on the left of the former UM chapel and she is within ownership of it. Her daughter has the old black wooden notice board once on an exterior wall. We were kindly sent a picture of it and allowed to make a posting with it. You will see that it just had Cumberworth Methodist Church (but not chapel) on it and giving times, but it is not known if it is c.1930s or later.

Kind regards.
Ray & Marie, at Christmas Cottage, Willoughby Rd., Cumberworth, Lincs.

By Ray & Marie
On 21/06/2016

Lincoln Archives:

Recent deposit: Ref. Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1, Conveyance of Chapel Site, year 1859 (photocopy, original with wax seals still intact amongst Mr. & Mrs. Ella’s property deeds).

Deposits already in the public keep of Lincoln Archives:

Meth/B/Alford [circuit] P/H/1/10.  Meth/B/Alford[circuit] P/H/1/12.  Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/13.

By Ray & Marie
On 12/07/2016

The lady who lives at the bungalow on the left of the other former chapel (United Methodist Chapel, later Cumberworth Methodist Church), kindly loaned us to copy a Primitive Methodist Insurance Policy Certificate dated 1st of July 1900 with later amendments, May 1901 and 30th of August 1910.

This is in a picture frame and we were allowed to remove it to have it copied later, then placed back into the frame and return it to the now owner, although it was once at the former Primitive Methodist Chapel perhaps before c.1932 or 1947. Until we have it copied/scanned, we have taken a picture of it (see above). The clarity is not brilliant, but here are some wordings:

“Whereas The Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cumberworth, Alford, Station [circuit] ..........................(etc.)”.


“[Further down the Certificate ] Signed: George Seaman and Joseph Smith, Directors and Robert Hind, Secretary”.

Queen Victoria died in 1901 yet the stamp has what was referred to has her young head; on the stamp is written Inland Revenue, later the same is written on the king’s stamp.

By Ray & Marie
On 27/07/2016

Lincoln Archives:

In a previous posting we listed documents mainly for the United Methodist Chapel in Cumberworth. Here now is a listing of documents for The Primitive Methodist Chapel we had searched: 

Trustees, Chapel Registration, Deeds & Title to Property, year 1859, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive /D/1/1. (Original Title Deed shown to Lincoln Archives by us and they having made a copy of it and an extra copy with a Disc copy also kindly given to us).


Trust & Committees, Meth/Cumberworh, Primitive/C.

Registers of Membership, Primitive/Meth/C/Cumberworth/A.

Circuit Records, Meth/B.

Trust Minutes & Account Book, 1909-10, Meth/C/Cumberworth, Primitive/C/1/1.

Note:some documents still not catalogued, temporary ref. Meth/Deposit.



Ray & Marie.

Post-Script: I am (Ray) in the process of restoring our P.M. Chapel's stone plaque and hope when completed to post a picture of it. 


By Ray & Marie
On 22/10/2016

Thank you Ray for the photographs of the repaired plaque, which have now been added.

By Jill Barber
On 25/10/2016

hi Ray and Marie.  It was a lovely sunny morning today so I decided to walk to Christmas Cottage.  Sorry not to catch you in, because I wanted to ask a favour of you.  On Tuesday the 27 June I have a couple of US visitors who would like to see some of our local heritage.

By James Johnson
On 19/02/2017

Hello James,

Yes that will be fine. Marie was working and I thought the door bell sounded. I was at the end of the back garden tidying up the shed.

Ray & Mare.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 27/02/2017

Before and after the starting of the Primitive Methodist Connection and much later, there was no tarmac on roads. However, there were cobbled streets in cities, towns and some villages, but no national road system, hence the need for toll gate houses to pay a fee for transport (horse with carriage, etc.) to go onto private land to get to a connecting road, many roads being dirt, and some with small rubble with the dirt, resulted in buildings having boot scrapers outside for people to get rid of most dirt and mud off their shoes and boots before entering a building. Some of these boots scrapers still survive today even if the road is now tarmacked, yet some are more recent. 

Outside of our former PM Chapel there was once a boot scraper and now to keep within tradition a replica one is now in place near the front door where the old one was at least before WW1. 

Hygiene standards are better today yet in our village some properties have septic tanks and no mains drainage. 

Our small single roomed former PM Chapel once had at the back a outer building that housed a toilet box and bin for the congregation, but our cottage has a bathroom with toilet and now linked to the former Chapel with a small conservatory type porch. 

The public domain Link shows the rear of our former PM Chapel in 1905-6 on Willoughby Road and there are similar Government O.S. Maps c.1888. The former Chapel can be viewed on the maps by following the links and zooming in on the chapel.. 

The other former Chapel (United Methodist/ Cumberworth Methodist Church) just next door but one from our cottage is not mentioned, but the Methodist-Wesleyan Chapel on Ings Lane is now demolished.  The School, now a private home, was once the National School built c.1874. 

Kind regards, 

Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth, Lincolnshire. 

By Ray & Marie
On 17/06/2017

Follow this link to view a Public domain Government O.S. map for Cumberworth published in 1951 (there are later ones also).

By enlarging/zooming down to Willoughby Road to view the former Primitive Methodist Chapel indeed it is not mentioned yet shown and the outer building for the toilet box and bin had gone, yet the main building continued to be used has a Sunday Schoolroom by the Methodist Chapel on the map,  i.e.,  because of the unification of various Methodist groups in 1932, although in Cumberworth it was year 1947.

The congregation of the Methodist Chapel (Cumberworth Methodist Church, now closed) had/has an annex/alcove for toileting, some locals referring to it has “the bucket”, the open planned land at the rear being for roadside properties only. 

The other Chapel on Ings Lane is demolished.

Before the closure of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel and Sunday Schoolroom, it was used also for other functions, e.g., parish meetings, yet not an official parish council and today meetings are held in another village (Mumby Parish Church).

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie.
On 19/06/2017

The only building in Cumberworth so-far to have a Listed Building Grade 11 (2) Status is the former Parish Church, now a private home, a suggestion that our former PM Chapel could come into the same category we are aware of but decline an application has of this present time, yet of a consideration later.

The National School (Cumberworth CE School), built in 1874:

The school closed 29th Oct., 1915 to 5th Jan., 1920, with children attending Mumby School, while the Headmistress carried out nursing duties in France during the second year to the ending of WW1 (just called The Great War then and up-to the next world war) until 1920, indeed many dead soldiers in that war up to the ending in 1918 but many more wounded still to die or recover.

By 1925 only juniors and infants where being taught in the National School, it closing 5th Aug., 1927, children then attended Huttoft School.

The courageous Headmistress was not to return to England until 1920 after The Great War to End all Wars, has it was then thought !, (end of WW1, 11th Nov., 1918). 

Lincoln Archives: Cumberworth National School/CE School: Documents (9 files). Survival period 1904 to 1921. Foundation Title Deeds. Plans & photographs, etc. Ref. SR/145.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie, in Cumberworth  

By Ray & Marie
On 20/06/2017

Cumberworth Parish Meetings:

Most people in other villages within the district of East Lindsey have an official authoritarian parish council and a certain amount of council tax paid to East Lindsey Council is forwarded-on to official parish councils and the amount shown on council tax bills.

Cumberworth is unusual and on our council tax bills it mentions Cumberworth parish meetings (the word council not mentioned) and amount '0'., also quite a large amount of payment forwarded-on by ELC to Lincolnshire County Council, even before social care now paid for via council tax.

Most people in our village if there is anything to debate or what they want to be done usually go direct to ELC or LCC.

ELC have on their public domain website a list of all parish councils and the names and addresses of those people representing them with permission to do so and incompliance of the Data Protection Act, indeed Cumberworth is listed but not the word council.

When I had the privilege to read the "minutes book" for Cumberworth parish meetings going back more than 100 years it was very interesting historically but sadly a book of "forlorn  hope".

The other nearby chapel on our road (former Cumberworth Methodist Church) has had planning permission granted and of much potential for a buyer.


Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 21/06/2017

Footnote to previous posting:

The listing of Cumberworth Parish Meetings mentioning names on the East Lindsey Council website is due for updating.

Our friendly neighbour who owns the former Cumberworth Methodist church lives in the bungalow next to it and both are now jointly up for sale, e.g., pictures within public domain advertisement (Rightmove, etc). We will miss our elderly good neighbour.

Kind Regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 21/06/2017

We have various Government O.S.Maps and some Aerial photographs for Cumberworth. Here is an Aerial photograph, from the previous owners of our property, showing a section of Willoughby Road photographed in the 1960s and what is noticeable is the black wooden notice board on a wall of the building on the left, the building being the Cumberworth Methodist Church (United Methodist Chapel) because it still was in use with a congregation. 

On the right is our former Primitive Methodist Chapel still being used then for various functions and by the Cumberworth Methodist Church adults and children, such a short walking distance between both.

On the far right of the former PM Chapel is now a house and on the far left of the former Cumberworth Methodist Church there is a bungalow. 

Apart from an 1859 Indenture (Title to the property) for our former PM Chapel there are other later deeds and the later brick-weave frontage is in compliance with them.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 22/06/2017

The Uniting of all Methodist groups:

It is accepted that the year of unification was 1932. However, in some areas were some Primitive Methodists delaying amalgamating with other Methodists and for what reasons.

In Cumberworth unification was year 1947. Indeed, in some areas the "better-off" Wesleyan-Methodists knew that some Primitive Methodists by the early 1930s were very poor and sympathy was felt for them. However, in other areas where the Primitive Methodist had a basic but better living had doubts about the unification and one reason for a non-compliance at least in 1932 or later to be unified with other Christian Methodists groups was because in effect Primitive Methodist women preaching would cease, yet some were Sunday School teachers only. 

After WW2 women were gaining more gender equality and equal rights in the work-place and indeed in some religious faiths and have become ministers preaching and quite rightly so. 

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 03/07/2017

Cumberworth born Phebe Kirk (married surname Bristow):

To read about Phebe and her husband Richard, also view pictures, go to Lincolnshire Chapels: Huttoft.


Ray and on behalf of Marie.

By Ray & Marie
On 04/07/2017

The former Cumberworth Primitive Methodist Chapel was once part of The Alford "circuit-area-chapel".

Some PM Chapels may be next to a railway station but not the former PM Chapel in Alford, but it was sometimes called "The Chapel Station" and this term used for the main circuit Chapel, the former Alford one now part of a funeral service.


Ray & Marie.

By Raymond E.O.Ella
On 18/07/2017

The Stamford Mercury Newspaper, 8th Dec., 1876, page 5:
The Primitive Methodists of Cumberworth have held their anniversary this week. On Sunday the Rev.A.J.Bull preached; and on Monday there was a public meeting (after tea) and Mr. Notsey (?) of Alford provided and the Revs J.Austerbury and A.J.Bull, and Messrs. W.Hundleyby, R.S. Bristow, G.Barton & Co., spoke. During the evening Miss. L.Mumby was presented with a handsome tea and coffee service in acknowledgement of her service as harmonist. The proceedings of the meeting, & Co., amounted to 6£(?) 10s.  

Boston Guardian Newspaper, 25th May 1895, page 8:
Cumberworth: "On Monday evening last, a meeting was held in the Primitive Methodist Chapel for the purpose of forming a Band of Hope* in connection with the Society. A public tea was provided and the children were regaled free. During the evening the Rev. Auty gave an excellent address and the children gave recitations in a satisfactory manner. Mr. Bristow presided and the chapel was crowded".

* Temperance. Queen Victoria became Patron of The Band of Hope, year 1897. In Comberworth 'The Band of Hope' may have sometimes been referred to has 'The Mission Band' (?, documented in 1908).

By Ray & Marie
On 22/07/2017

Extra to previous posting:
The organ at that time in the PM Chapel was a read-organ i.e., Harmonium.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella).
On 22/07/2017

Phebe Kirk, born Cumberworth, a Primitive Methodist teacher, musician and singer: (read Huttoft postings):

Phebe is mentioned in her brother Francis's Will of Cumberworth and he leaves her £200, being mentioned "Phebe, wife of Richard Bristow", quite a sum of money then.

The Will also mentions Francis's wife Ann Kirk and other beneficiaries, the Will proved 16th March 1875 (Solicitors: Rhodes & Sons, Market Rasen). Francis died 13th Jan., 1875.

This Will was for Francis Kirk (junior) of 'The Ings' and he held land and property in various other parts of Cumberworth. 

His mother was named Dinah and his father Francis (senior), he having died just a few years or less before the Primitive Methodist Chapel was built (1859).

Note: Wills after c.1858 were a civil matter but before then they were of an ecclesiastical administration, so probate documents for many deceased persons pre 1858 are now at the Lincoln Archives.

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 24/07/2017

Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian Newspaper, 25th Oct., 1913:

Harvest Thanksgiving At The Primitive Methodists.

Cumberworth, harvest festival held on Oct. 12th., two excellent sermons were preached by Mr. Padley of Bratoft to large congregations. On Monday the annual sale and tea was held. The proceeds amounted to £9.4s.7 (and a half) d.. for the chapel and circuit fund.


By Ray & Marie
On 05/08/2017

The Boston Guardian Newspaper, Sat., Nov., 26th, 1921.

OBITUARY: - We regret to report the death of Mrs. Rebecca Rushton, wife of the late Mr. David Rushton, a well-known Boston corn merchant. The deceased was a native of Mumby and the daughter of the late Mr. Robert Gibbons, farmer of Mumby and Cumberworth. She leaves four daughters and two sons to mourn her death. She was a well known and respected in the surrounding district and connected with the local Primitive Methodists. The deceased [had] requested that no flowers should be sent to her funeral.

By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie)
On 25/10/2017

In the 1861 Census for Cumberworth Rebecca Gibbons (who was a Primitive Methodist) is listed age 16, a Schoolteacher, born Cumberworth.


1851 Census, Cumberworth, Lincolnshire:

Robert Gibbons, Head, 60, born Alford. Farmer of 280 Acres, employing 4 outdoor and 4 indoor labourers. 

Rebecca Gibbons, wife, 33, born Cumberworth.

Rebecca Gibbons, daughter, scholar, 6, born Cumberworth. 

Robert Gibbons, son, Scholar, 5, born Cumberworth.

Servants: William Goodin, John Willey, Mary Willerton, Iley Hodson.


Note: a variant phonetic scribe-form for Gibbons was Gibbins, Rebecca's (junior) birth may have been registered has such c.1843-1845. In the 1861 Census another brother is listed.

By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie)
On 26/10/2017

The Coming Back Home of the Primitive Methodist Insurance Company Certificate. 

The elderly good friendly neighbour (see comment dated 27/7/2016) who had the original certificate and allowed us to have a photocopy of it has now kindly given us it and in a picture frame. It now proudly hangs on a wall in our former PM Chapel - see picture above. It has come home, Policy number 7926 (top left). 

Although our former PM Chapel was built in 1859 the insurance certificate is dated 1st July 1900 with some later signed amendments, the sum insured for being £100, then later increased to £150, then £200, the insurance premium being annually 2 shillings and later 3 shillings. 

The insurance cover was for the building and contents, e.g., an Harmonium valued at £15, a Stove, Lamps for lighting, Pewing (Pews for seating) , Pulpit or Rostrum,  Candle Fittings. 

It mentions that the Cumberworth Methodist Chapel is part of the Alford Station (circuit) and the insurance is for Chapel & School Room. 

We have also identified that the Kelly’s Directories of Lincolnshire 1885, 1889 and 1909 refer to the village having both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Directories also give information about the National School in the village.

1885 – school for 60 – average attendance 35 – school mistress: Miss Jane Morrell.

1889 – mixed school built in 1874 – school mistress: Miss Mary Moody.

1909 – Public Elementary School – mistress: Miss E.A. Moore

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella).
On 07/11/2017

I've added notes from the a Primitive Methodist magazine account of the opening of the chapel in 1859.

By Christopher Hill
On 08/11/2017

Dear Christopher,

Thank you for your notes has a newer heading to our posting 07/04/206 regarding the chapel opening printed in the PM magazine and our update 08/04/2016 regarding our Indenture-Title to the former PM chapel year 1859, the more measurement stated with a plan on the Title giving a land boundary rather than walls to walls. 

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie.


By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie)
On 08/11/2017

Extra: the measurements are in Imperial Yards written on the Title to our linked property and in numbers on the plan. This indicates a small land boundary, the measurements walls to walls being less.

Sadly with some former chapels or churches deeds are few and far between , or none survive at all,!, yet we are fortunate to have the original Title (also termed an Indenture) to the property and other deeds for it.

Kind regards,

Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs.).

By Mr. & Mrs. Ella (Ray & Marie)
On 08/11/2017

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln:

Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/A/1/2: Alford Primitive Methodist Circuit Register of Baptisms, c.1892 to c.1932. Note: this may or may not include baptisms at Chapels within the circuit, i.e.,  congregations within the circuit may have had a child or adult baptism at their own Chapel or at  the Station (Circuit) main Chapel and in this area that would be Alford PM Chapel.

Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/10: Primitive Methodist Preaching Plans, 2,  April-June 1908. Oct-Dec. 1909.

Ref. Meth/B/Alford P/H/1/10: Primitive Methodist Preaching Plans, 2, April-June 1912. April-____? 1922.



By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)
On 24/12/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.