Walpole Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Walpole Primitive Methodist chapel(s)

Church Hill, Walpole IP19 9AX

By Christopher Hill

There's an account by G Dawson in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine of the re-opening of Walpole Primitive Methodist chapel after it was extended.

The chapel was erected in 1835 at a cost of £108 and was "the birthplace of many souls". The Sunday school shared the use of the chapel, but the building was not large enough, so in 1857 it was made 14' longer. The re-opening on October 4th 1857 was by T Lincoln of Lynn and Mrs Taylor of Wisbeach. The following day there was a tea-meeting with sermons from local preachers and "singers from Wisbeach interested the audience by their effective singing."

The overall cost was £40 of which they had collected £28; the Sunday school teachers pledged to collect the rest.

A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on the 1884 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map up a footpath to the south of Church Hill. On the 1904 map it is marked a little further west, although in both cases the exact building is not clear. On the 1957 map it is marked (back closer to the original location) as a disused chapel.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1858 p.48

 

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 12/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.