The laying of the foundation stones for Westhorpe Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bury St Edmunds station came at the end of a long journey for the society. They had been through times of success and periods when membership fell as workers moved away from the village This meant that the society lost its leadership, and often their meeting place too. They met in cottages – and when the owner moved away the society had to find a new home.
The 1904 Ordnance Survey map shows a Prim chapel on The Green. It is not there by the 1950 map