Hoylake Primitive Methodist chapel
“Hoylake is a scattered village lying on the south-west corner of a tongue of land called the hundred of Wirral, which is situated between the Mersey and the Dee, in the county of Cheshire. From the neighbouring hills an
interesting view is obtained of extensive and delightful scenery. This neighbourhood is becoming a favourite resort of many of the well-to-do portion of the adjacent large towns.
The native population consists chiefly of fishermen and their families. For two or three years we have preached here under disadvantageous circumstances, but now we are privileged with a commodious chapel, capable of holding nearly 200 people. The chapel was opened by Mr. Thomas Bateman, November 11th, 1800, and by Mr. J. Wood on the following Sabbath-day. In connection with these services a temperance meeting was held December 2nd. All the services were well attended. May the Divine blessing crown our endeavours with success.
The land and building have cost about £270, towards which £125 have been collected. We gratefully acknowledge the following donations. S. Radford and Sons, £10; Wm. Inman, Esq., £20: Peter Brown, Esq., £25 ; George Brown, Esq., £5 ; Mr. Wm. Bateman, £5. We are chiefly indebted to our friend Mr. Peter Brown for the erection of this chapel ; for had we not been favoured with his persevering efforts we should have been without it until now.
Where was the chapel and what happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1861 page 304