Allendale Town PM Chapel was built in 1878. It is not known when it closed as a chapel but the building has been well restored by the County Council for use as a public library. The photographs were taken on 16.03.2014
(added by CH 05/2017)
There is an account in the 1836 Primitive Methodist magazine of the opening of an earlier Allendale Town Primitive Methodist chapel. Opening services were held on the 9th and 10th April 1836 when the preachers were H Hebbron & Miss Elizabeth Newton.
It measured 30′ wide by 35′ long, with a gallery and a house underneath. All the stones were hewn and brought free of charge.
The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine contains two notes relating to the chapel building. The first records the laying of the foundation stones for the new chapel and the second its opening. A new place of worship had been needed for many years and the magazine editor was pleased to recognise the names of a number of those involved.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 page 394
Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 253
Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 571