The Christian Messenger tells us “The Rev. John Gill … …at once took steps to erect a chapel at Cowburn for the “oot-bye folk.” At that time the services were held in a barn under a dwelling house by the roadside. Mr. Gill bent himself to the task, and not only succeeded in building a chapel, but also established a day school. ” Read more here.
Christian Messenger 1910 page 216