The 1910 Christian Messenger tells us that “At Bates’ Cottages – a populous district just outside the boundary of Delaval Parish Council –we possess a good chapel and schoolroom, upon which there is less than £200 debt. Here we have every reason to do well as a church, since the Society contains the largest number of local preachers of any in the circuit some of whom are prominent both in the local and the County Miners‘ Union, and a body of young men and women who are willing helpers in every good work.”
- The 1938 Ordnance Survey map shows the chapel and Sunday School – by then labelled ‘Methodist Church’ – opposite the southern end of Mortimer Terrace. Street View in 2023 shows modern housing on the site.
- Both chapel and Sunday school building are on the 1914 map, labelled ‘PM chapel’.
- On the 1896 map there is not yet a Sunday school building, only the chapel. It is labelled ‘Methodist chapel (Primitive )’. Mortimer Terrace does not yet exist.
The 1940 inventory of Methodist Buildings tells us that the chapel was built of brick and stone, seated 170 people on pews, and had one school hall and two other rooms. It was in the Blyth and Seaton Delaval circuit. It also carries a note recording that the chapel was damaged by enemy action.
In his book Northern Primitive Methodism, published in 1909, WM Patterson tells us that:
A healthy influence has been exerted by the Primitives at Bates ’ Cottages. The Knox
family did much to found this Church, being zealously assisted by Joseph and Robert Johnson and their families , while the service of Ralph Smith and Matthew Davey has been valuable.
The Grid Reference is: NZ 31517 74495
What’s the story?
Christian Messenger 1910/315