Cawood Primitive Methodist chapel
Thorpe Lane Cawood YO8 3SG
Before the Cawood Primitive Methodist society had a chapel they met in a house. At the 1851 religious census, Thomas Thornton, society steward, recorded the average attendance as 30 in the afternoon and 50 in the evening.
In the autumn of 1855, J. Watson, Esq., of London, and W. H. Nicholson, Esq., of Cawood, generously presented the society with a site. The foundation stone for Cawood Primitive Methodist chapel was laid by Mr. H. J. M‘Culloch, of York, assisted by Master Nicholson, son of one of the donors of the ground.
The opening services commenced on May 6th 1856. Addresses were given by Wm. Harland, Mr. M‘Culloch, Mr. T. Newsome, of Hull, and Mrs. G. Wade, of York.
Details of the opening come from an article in the Primitive Methodist magazine by William Harland. “The chapel is well lighted—is ceiled to the rafters—is well ventilated, and is an excellent building, 33 ft. by 27 ft.”.
The generosity of neighbouring towns and villages meant that £144 had been raised, leaving only £100 outstanding.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is marked on Thorpe Lane on the 1891 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map. By 1908 it has lost the word Primitive. The same building appears to be there in 1966 although unlabelled. It has disappeared by 1990 to be replaced by a bungalow.
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1856 p.496