Kilham Primitive Methodist chapel
Driffield Rd YO25 4SN
A “small and inconvenient” Primitive Methodist chapel was opened at Kilham in 1824.
The foundation stone for a new chapel was laid by Mr Danby (Jun) of Kilham on September 5th 1859. When completed, the new chapel held 370 and cost £450 of which they had raised £110.
Opening celebrations started on 12th February 1860 and included tea for 200 “despite the unpropitious day”.
Speakers at the opening included Mr. J. Dodsworth, of Malton, W. Sanderson, of Kirton Lindsey, D. Horsfield, of Lund, J. Hodgson, W. H. Henderson, H. Woodcock, and W. Garner, of Driffield. Donors included — Staveley (Dottrill Park); F. Danby and family (Kilham) and Mr. P. Knaggs (Wetwang Field) and Mrs.Smith.
Jubilee Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map on the east side of Driffield Road, roughly where South Grove is now. The chapel disappears between the 1951 and 1956 maps.
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1860 page 302-302