Knaresborough Primitive Methodist Chapel 1854

The plaque on this building indicates it was built in 1851 but ......

1854 (?) Knaresborough Primitive Methodist Chapel in High Street as it was in 2000.
Keith Guyler 2000

Knaresborough PM chapel is a grade 2 listed building. It was listed on 14th April 1978. Its listing is due to its historical worth and architectural features. The listing states that the chapel was built in 1854.

A Primitive Methodist society was first established in Knaresborough 1819 but it was not until the 1850s that a chapel and Sunday School were built. The building was constructed of coursed grey grit stone with a Westmorland slate roof. It is situated behind Nos 20 & 22 Briggate. Date of closure is unknown but the chapel premises were used by a coat manufacturer for a good part of the 20th century. In 2001 the premises were converted into four flats.

The plaque is obviously not the original which may allow for the discrepancy in the dates.

Photos taken February 2013

OS Map Ref:104:SE350568

Comments about this page

  • Replaced in the early 1900s

    By Colin Dews (02/03/2018)
  • There’s an account in the Primitive Methodist magazine (Jan 1855 pp.41-42) by James Bootland about the opening of the chapel on October 15th 1854. They had been working towards it for at least five years, with bazaars and annual tea meetings organised by brothers Imeson, J. Leathby and Miss Spetch.

    Speakers at the opening celebrations included Messrs. C. Smith and T. Dawson, Mrs. Hallam, J. Spoor, Mr. Greensmith (Harrogate), W. Gladstone (Independent), T.Greener jun., J. Crake, and James Bootland.

    By Christopher Hill (03/03/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.