Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Hackney Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenaway Lane Hackney Derbyshire' page
Photo:1908 Hackney Centenary Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 1998

1908 Hackney Centenary Memorial Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1998

Keith Guyler 1998

Photo:Hackney Primitive Methodist chapel from a postcard dated 1901-1909

Hackney Primitive Methodist chapel from a postcard dated 1901-1909

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

There are two PM chapel buildings in Hackney

The first PM chapel in Hackney was built in 1848. It is a small building which has recently had some re-furbishment to the outside. It is privately owned and appears to be used as a store.

When the chapel became too small a second one was built almost next door to it. This much larger chapel was built in the Victorian style in 1908.

In 2014 the chapel is still open for worship and has a congregation of 20 most of whom do not live in the village. From it there are beautiful views over the Derwent Valley towards Oaker and Wensley. According to many it has the best views of any chapel in the circuit.

A legacy, left to the chapel recently, provided the funding for much of the re-furbishment to the interior.

Photos taken October 2014

OS Map Ref:119:SK284622

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 19/10/2014.
Comments about this page

See also the article on Matlock Circuit published in the Christian Messenger 1907

By Geoff Dickinson
On 20/07/2015