Ible Primitive Methodist chapel
Ible, Grange Mill, MATLOCK, DE4 4HS
The chapel is a grade II listed building. It is described at the time of its listing as follows:
“SK 25 NW IBLE GRANGE LANE 1/9 8 (North Side) Primitive Methodist
Chapel. Early C19. Rendered stone with limestone dressings. Plain tile roof. Single storey rectangular building. South elevation – 2 glazing bar sashes with beaded panelled door to west. Interior – boarded from floor to ceiling. One original straight backed pew. Preachers box at east end; canted 6 panel box with finials at each corner, approached from either side by two steps with plain balusters. Coat rail along three sides with iron hooks. Dated 1825 by Bulmer and Co, History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire, 1895.
Listing NGR: SK2498457048″
The Primitive Methodist magazine for August 1857 includes an account by James Shaw of the re-opening of Ible Primitive Methodist chapel after refurbishment with a new floor, door and windows, a platform pulpit and complete re-painting. The exterior walls were rough stuccoed. The entire cost was £30 (which was met by the time of opening). Re-opening sermons were preached by Samuel Rains of Manchester, whose family was centrally engaged in the improvements.
James Shaw describes Ible as “a small hamlet, remarkable for its very romantic and wild scenery”. It was missioned in 1822 and the first chapel was built in 1823, the only place of worship in the village. The society was led by Mr John Rains, who was still the leader in 1857. Ten of his twelve children were “useful members of our beloved Connexion.”
The chapel was again refurbished in 1879. It accommodated 50 people. It is now a house.
British Listed Buildings website accessed January 30th 2015
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1857 pp.505–506