Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel, Derbyshire

Hanging Bridge chapel, beyond Duke of York inn.
Archive photograph

Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mayfield Road, Clifton, Derbyshire.

A chapel erected in 1830 with a three bay front. Records from 1869 to 1973 held by Derbyshire Records.

Chapel was situated out of main settlements, immediately adjacent to present A52 Ashbourne to Mayfield road, serving Hanging Bridge, Clifton and parts of Mayfield. 

Archive photograph shows former Duke of York inn, demolished in 1950’s, with Methodist chapel on extreme right of picture.

Comments about this page

  • This chapel was sold in July 1973, and is now a private residence.

    By David Leese (03/05/2021)
  • The foundation stone for Hanging Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel was laid on 19th August 1830 and the chapel opened on Sunday 8th August. Opening day preachers were Hugh Bourne and Brother Simmons.

    The chapel measured 24′(w) x 33′(l). Inside, the pews at the east end were in a raised form.

    The opening is described by John Tomlinson in the 1831 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 25).

    By Christopher Hill (01/09/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.