Holloway Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Original P.M. Chapel.

Original P.M. Chapel.

Rev. David Leese

Photo:P.M. Chapel, approach from Chapel Lane,

P.M. Chapel, approach from Chapel Lane,

Rev. David Leese

Photo:1852 Date stone.

1852 Date stone.

Rev. David Leese

Photo:Current house sign (2017)

Current house sign (2017)

Rev. David Leese


By David Leese

Mount Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel, Chapel Lane, Holloway, Derbyshire.

Located nearly end of Chapel Lane, on the right of the lane (vehicular access with care).

Kelly's Directory records a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1883, and "the old chapel built in 1852" which became the Sunday school. It was described as a "neat stone building in the old English style of architecture, and will seat about 120 hearers."

1852 also saw the building of the present Methodist chapel in Church street, known as John Smedley's chapel, formerly a Free Methodist chapel, and subsequently a United one.

It is understood that the Primitive Methodist chapel closed in 1965.

It now has a sign stating "Florence Nightingale's chapel."


This page was added by David Leese on 02/06/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.