Lutton Bank Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella)

Lincolnshire Archives, Lincoln has the following records relating to this chapel:

Ref. MLI197683: Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lutton Bank, Lutton Marsh.

Lincs to the Past describes the chapel as follows:

The chapel is indicated on the 1931 Ordnance Survey County Series map. One of the eroded foundation stones suggests that it was built in the early 20th century but is unclear. An earlier Primitive Methodist chapel is known to have been built in Lutton in 1834 according to documentary sources. This current building may have replaced that chapel, though it appears to have had two cells on the county map. The smaller cell, which no longer exists, may possibly have been the earlier chapel. The chapel was in use as an outlet for church vestments from 1973 until October 2009. It now appears to be disused. The extant chapel is built of red brick with stone dressings and a gabled roof with modern tiles. The south-east gable is raised and a modern portakabin now adjoins this rendered elevation. The broad front elevation has five bays with a central doorway flanked by flat-headed casement windows with stone sills and lintels. The original doorway is obscured by a modern porch, but a moulded, flat, stone hood resting on stone brackets belonging to the original doorway is visible above. The original iron railings and gate survive

Follow the above link to Lincs to the Past to view pictures of the building.

This page was added by Geoff Dickinson on 11/12/2017.