Langrick Ville Primitive Methodist chapel (Anton's Gowt)
Mere Booth Rd, Boston PE22 7BQ
Langrick Ville is a village about four miles from Boston. The Primitive Methodist magazine for September 1852 contains an account by John Dickenson of the establishment of Langrick Ville Primitive Methodist chapel (also spelled Langrickville and Langriville). In the archives held in Lincolnshire County Council’s collection it is known as Anton’s Gowt Chapel. Anton’s Gowt is a settlement in Langrick Ville parish.
Although the village was missioned previously, a society was first successfully established around 1850. It met in a barn belonging to one of the members, which was fine apart from when the barn was needed to store farm implements.
Land for a new chapel was obtained and it was built by Mr Martin of Butterwick, one of the chapel members. It was built of brick with a blue slate roof, boasted decorative features such as a stone ball at the top of the gable and measured 24′ x 18′,
No date for the opening services was given, but sermons were delivered by Mr Barnsdale of Bottesford, and Messrs Gibbs, Westmoreland and Dickenson. Particular thanks were due to those who made contributions both of money and materials, especially Mr & Mrs Bailey and Mrs Freestone.
The society was optimistic about the future and was about to open a Sunday school.
The chapel is still marked on the 1956 Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map but has disappeared on later editions. On Google Street View in July 2009 a bungalow appears to be on the former site.
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1852 pp.559-560