Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Chapel-en-le-Frith PM Chapel Derbyshire' page

Known as the Bethel Chapel it was built in 1852

This stone built chapel is situated on the north side of Market Street. Date of closure is unknown but it is thought to have been before 1977. In 2011 it was being used by a specialist joiner and in March 2013 it had been converted into a two bedroom/two bathroom house.

On the opposite side of the road is Sunday School Lane. The Sunday School was built at a later date in 1910. This building is now converted into apartments.

Photos taken March 2013

OS Map Ref:

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 17/09/2014.
Comments about this page

The Primitive Methodist magazine for November 1852 pp.689-690 contains an account by William Inman of the opening of Chapel en le Frith Primitive Methodist chapel in the Bradwell Circuit which makes it sound that the chapel was acquired by accident.

 “A piece of freehold property being on sale, our indefatigable brother, Thomas Cotts, attended the auction, and, on his own responsibility, became the buyer, giving the sum of £92. No time was lost in transfer ring the land and cottage thereon to nine trustees; and other preliminary steps being taken, the chapel was commenced. On Good-Friday afternoon, the foundation-stone was laid by Mr. J. Ingham, of New-mills, who also ... preached to the scholars, teachers, members, and friends, who had walked in procession to the place.”

The chapel opened on Sunday the 8th and 15th of August 1852 with sermons by Mr. G. Stansfield, of Manchester, and Mrs. S. Shimwell, of Youlegreave. The chapel was a substantial stone building, measuring 39 feet by 33 outside, and 19 feet 6 inches high and inscribed “Primitive Methodist Bethel, 1852”. It waswell located in the centre of the town; standing with its front a few feet from the main street, nearly opposite the new Town hall.

The overall cost was around £300 of which they had raised around £100

“Connected with the chapel there is an increasing school, and a society of thirty members, including five local preachers ; so that our prospects in this place are somewhat cheering.”

By Christopher Hill
On 14/02/2017

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.