Cross o' th' Hands Primitive Methodist Chapel Derbyshire

This chapel, seating 90, was opened in 1909 and is still open for worship in 2014

1909 Cross o' th' Hands Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1987
Keith Guyler 1987
1909 Cross o' th' Hands Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2002
Keith Guyler 2002

Its unusual lovely name is an indication of its situation on one arm of a cross roads.

Photos taken October 2013

OS Map ref:119:SK283464

Comments about this page

  • The original listing refers to the name of the settlement arising from its position near a cross roads. Wikipedia gives the origin as the locals also understand it “named after its original public house , near a gravel pit used for staging bare-knuckle fist fights, itself named after the sport.”

    By David Leese (31/12/2020)
  • The 1831 chapel was built by the Wesleyans and had at times a difficult history. So the Wesleyans gave up the services and made way for the Primitive Methodists, The old building was pulled down in 1909. A letter was written appealed for funds:

    The cause is situated in an isolated position and draws its congregation from Muggington, Hulland Ward and Mercaston Lane and Cross o’th’hands. The friends are mostly farmers, agricultural labourers, and by much self sacrifice, extending over a large number of years, have got together the sum of £190.”

    The new Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on Wednesday 1st December 1909, with the first Sunday service on 5th December.

    By David Leese (14/01/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *