South Croxton Primitive Methodist chapel

location of South Croxton Primitive Methodist chapel

Kings Lane South Croxton LEICESTER LE7 3RE

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1857 contains an account by W Cutts of the opening of South Croxton Primitive Methodist chapel.  The village had been missioned in 1855, starting with preaching in the open air, and by 1857 a society of 20 people had been formed.  They put this down to their work - and the fact that the parish church only had one service each week.

At that point Mr R Nuttall, originally from South Croxton but living in London and recently converted, promised (and later gave!) a gift of £100 for a chapel, providing the society could supply it with preachers. 

The resulting chapel was 24' x 21' and 15 high inside and was opened on April 12th 1857 with sermons from Mr Snow and Mr Cutts.  A later sopening celebration was held on June 24th with a sermon by Rev N Curnock.  There was also a tea meeting to raise funds.

Further donations came from other members of the Nuttall family, Mr W Austin, Mr J Underwood  and assorted others.

The chapel is still marked on Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 maps of 1958-9, but then disappears.  On Google Street View in July 2011 the site, to the rear of the Golden Fleece Inn, is occupied by housing.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1857 p.620

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/01/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.