South Croxton Primitive Methodist chapel
Kings Lane South Croxton LEICESTER LE7 3RE
The Primitive Methodist magazine for October 1857 contains an account by W Cutts of the opening of South Croxton Primitive Methodist chapel. The village had been missioned in 1855, starting with preaching in the open air, and by 1857 a society of 20 people had been formed. They put this down to their work – and the fact that the parish church only had one service each week.
At that point Mr R Nuttall, originally from South Croxton but living in London and recently converted, promised (and later gave!) a gift of £100 for a chapel, providing the society could supply it with preachers.
The resulting chapel was 24′ x 21′ and 15 high inside and was opened on April 12th 1857 with sermons from Mr Snow and Mr Cutts. A later sopening celebration was held on June 24th with a sermon by Rev N Curnock. There was also a tea meeting to raise funds.
Further donations came from other members of the Nuttall family, Mr W Austin, Mr J Underwood and assorted others.
The chapel is still marked on Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 maps of 1958-9, but then disappears. On Google Street View in July 2011 the site, to the rear of the Golden Fleece Inn, is occupied by housing.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1857 p.620