Spittal (Spital) Primitive Methodist chapel
In the 1865 Primitive Methodist magazine, there’s an account of the laying of a foundation stone for a chapel at Spittal. It is one of several chapels in the Brough circuit described by James Warnes.
“Spittal.—This place was missioned about four years ago. The population is very thin and scattered, and there is no place of worship within three or four miles. A chapel was talked about, and a site purchased, three years since ; a plan was drawn, and the stones were quarried, but the principal parties objecting to its being connexional, we were obliged to stop it. We tried several persons for a plot of freehold land, but failed in every case.
A few months ago, through the influence of Messrs. Richardson and Holmes, solicitors, of Barnard Castle, we obtained legal permission to build on the waste land by paying an acknowledgement of 6 pence per year. This we secure to the connexion by a trust deed, made after our model form.
The foundation stone was laid on Good Friday. As there is no day-school in the place, we have made provision for one by putting a movable partition across, so that both ends can be thrown into one when required. The entire cost will be about £130 ; we have already obtained in cash and promises about £70.”
The opening is described in the 1866 magazine; it took place on October 7th 1865. Speakers included Revs G Doe and J Ford, and Messrs Norman, Lynn, B Wade. The Wesleyan choir from Hurst sang.
The total cost was £130 towards which they had raised £90. Donors included John Hilton, WJ Atkinson, John Coates (Stainmore), FA Milbank MP and the North East Railway Company (Darlington Section).
If the chapel is at Spital near Bowes (hence the Barnard Castle reference) then a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on what is now the A66, just west of the mile stone saying Bowes 4 miles. It is opposite Three Chimneys farm and just west of Coach and Horses Farm. The A66 has been made into a dual carriageway; is there any remnant of the building?
Primitive Methodist magazine 1865 page 690
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 page 112-113