South Hetton Primitive Methodist chapel

Return from South Hetton Primitive Methodist chapel in the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship
transcribed by David Tonks 2020

Comments about this page

  • The Builder, vol. 15, iss. 757, August 8th, 1857:

    South Hetton. – The foundation stone of a new Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid at South Hetton by Mr. N. Wood, of the Hetton Colliery on the 25th inst. The site of the intended edifice, to which school-rooms will be attached, is at the end of Union-street and the ground has be purchased of Mr. Pemberton of Sherburn. The chapel has been designed by Mr. Greener, architect, Sunderland; and Mr. Clarke of same place is contracted. It will be a plain Italian structure and is calculated to seat 550 persons. There will be 300 appropriated sittings and the remainder will be free. In the schoolroom provision will be made for the accommodation of 600 scholars. The entire cost will amount to [£] 750; raised by voluntary contributions.
    …………….

    From Raymond: hopefully this happened after the foundation stone laid and enough voluntary contributions.

    By Raymond E. O. Ella (23/08/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *