Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel

Church Rd, Stockton-on-Tees TS18 1TW

Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel | Handbooks of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1914 and 1932; Englesea Brook Museum
Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel
Handbooks of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1914 and 1932; Englesea Brook Museum

Stockton Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel 

The Primitive Methodists in Stockton held their first camp meeting in 1821 and had a room in Playhouse Yard; they opened a chapel in Maritime Street in 1825.  By the end of the nineteenth century there were three chapels -Paradise Row, 1866, Norton Road, 1876, and Bowesfield Lane, 1887 – together with some mission rooms. 

The foundation stone for Paradise Row Primitive Methodist chapel, Church Road, was laid in June 1865 and the chapel was officially opened on 20th May, 1866. The chapel seated 620 people and was used by Moody and Sankey during their visit to Stockton in 1893. 

The chapel closed and the final service was held on Sunday 28th December, 1947. On Google street view in 2009 it is a shop for wallpaper and paint. By 2015 it appears to be empty.

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone