There are two returns from Primitive Methodists in Midsomer Norton to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. The smaller preaching house had 24 people attending a morning service; it held 30. The larger had 60 people attending in afternoon and evening services.
The return for the larger preaching place was completed by James Jones, a coal miner.
In a comment on the Radstock chapel page, Jeff Parsons tells us the there were later two Primitive Methodist chapels in Midsomer Norton –
- Midsomer Norton Stones Cross (now Salvation Army)
- Midsomer Norton Redfield Road (demolished 1996 now housing). This was built by the society initially meeting in James Jones miner’s cottage. Jeff believes that the architect was J Hicks, who was also the architect for Claremont Primitive Methodist chapel in Bath