Zeals Primitive Methodist chapel
Chapel Lane, Zeals BA12 6NP
Wiltshire Community website tells us that the chapel was built in 1852 on land that was probably given by Benjamin Perfect. “There was seating for 100 people, with more space in a gallery. In 1915 the chapel was extended and a schoolroom was built, which accommodated around 20 children at Sunday School in the 1920s. By 1973 there were only 11 members of the chapel and they joined with the Bourton Wesleyan Methodists to form a Methodist Church.“
The return from Zeals Primitive Methodist preaching room to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious Worship tells of the society meeting in a rented room. 65 people attended the afternoon service and 76 attended the evening service. The return was completed by Charles Bell, of Silton in Dorset.
H Yeates tells us in the Primitive Methodist magazine for 1866 about the re-opening of Zeals Primitive Methodist chapel in the Motcombe circuit after enlargement and improvements. These changes cost £90 of which £60 had been raised.
Celebrations started on August 5th. Opening speakers included H Yeates, Mr Rutter (Mere), B Parfitt and C Portnell (Sturminster). Kington Magna choir sang and there was tea for 200.
Donors included C Jupe and “several old friends in London”.
The chapel is a private house on Street View in 2009.
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1866 page 749
Wiltshire Community History website accessed 17th April 2019 at: