Guisborough Primitive Methodist chapel
Chapel Street TS14 6QE and Westgate TS14 6AF, Guisborough
Thanks to Pat Donnor for researching Guisborough Primitive Methodist chapel.
The village of Guisborough, in Redcar and Cleveland North Yorkshire, is the home to Guisborough Primitive Methodist chapel. The current (2023) Guisborough Methodist Church on Westgate is the former Primitive Methodist Chapel. Pat describes it as a lovely building. In fact, it was the second Primitive Methodist chapel.
The first Guisborough Primitive Methodist Chapel was built on Chapel Street in
1860 at a cost of £425; the plaque which in 2023 is painted blue probably once
carried the name and date. It is now the Guisborough Conservative Club
Grid ref: X461 Y516
In 1907 they relocated to much larger premises on Westgate at a cost of
£4000. The 1940s Methodist Statistical return records Guisborough South Side former Primitive Methodist chapel in the Redcar, Saltburn and Guisborough Circuit. It was brick built, with seating for 620 on pews and with one schoolroom and four other rooms in addition to the worship area.
Guisborough Methodist Church website tells us that Wesleyan Methodists, representing another strand of Methodism, had their own building called Centenary, built in 1811, on the north side of Westgate, set back from the road and accessed from Westgate through a gap between the buildings. The new Primitive Methodist Church became known as Southside, being on the south side of Westgate. The two distinct Methodist chapels co-existed until 1961, when Centenary was closed and later demolished.
- First chapel: 22 Chapel Street, Guisborough TS14 6QE OS Grid Ref: NZ 61398 15869
- Second chapel: Westgate, Guisborough TS14 6AF OS Grid Ref: NZ 61306 15928