Glasshouses Primitive Methodist Chapel, Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire

The Primitive Methodist society at Glasshouses came into being in 1863, being described simply as ‘Plain’ till 1875, when they built their chapel in Chapel Row, which was popularly known as the ‘Back Chapel’.

It had a very exuberant life and was the spiritual home of many families in the village. Among the names best remembered are Young, Dinsdale, Dunn, Thackery, Snow, Swires, Gill, Wilkinson, Bales and Wray, and members of several of these families were still prominent among the members and leaders of the church in the 1960s.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel was particularly famous for its singing. It had a large and enthusiastic choir whose visits to other chapels on special occasions were eagerly welcomed.

It was part of the Pateley Bridge circuit, and in September 1933 when the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist circuits amalgamated, the two churches in Glasshouses joined together in the former Wesleyan chapel. Before uniting, the Wesleyans had a membership of about 50, and the Primitive Methodists about 30.  The Primitive Methodist chapel was sold and used for other purposes, and was finally demolished in 1962, but continued to hold a warm place in the hearts of those who used to worship there.    The Primitive Methodist war memorial was moved to the school hall of the present chapel.

Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel

1876

Thomas Millward, William Gill, John Simpson, James Abbott, John Millward, John Marshall, Joseph Shuttleworth, David Gill, Benjamin Millward, Thomas Thackery, William Kirkbright, James Fryer, Robert Tebb, John Gill, William Holmes, Robert Hardcastle, Thomas Marshall, Jonathan Gill, Thomas Millward junr

1901

Robert Hardcastle, Joseph Baines, Edward Dunn, William Simpson, John Swires, Tom Marshall, John Millward, Thomas H Grange, John Dougill, Thomas Millward, George Thackery, Harry Calvert, James Fryer, Mark Holdsworth, John T Wray, Robert Young, David Light, John Bales

1940 (Trust formed to negotiate the sale of the property)

John T Wray, Fred Robinson, John Clark Junr, Harry Summersgill, Fred Spence, George Millward, David Light, John Mallaby, T E Myers, Robert Alsop, Christopher Chilton, J W Marshall, John Swires, T F Dunn, F G Summersgill, W L King, Frank Boddy, T A Verity

Source

Glasshouses Methodist Church, Pateley Bridge, Yorkshire: Centenary Souvenir 1966

 

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *