Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel

Photo:Leintwardine PM Chapel 2013

Leintwardine PM Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Leintwardine Methodist parish room

Leintwardine Methodist parish room

R Beck

Photo:1841 Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993

1841 Leintwardine Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993

Keith Guyler 1993

Location of Leintwardine former PM chapel

Church Street, Leintwardine Civil Parish, Herefordshire.

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 40475 74035 

 

In 2013 this an active Methodist Church which is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit. The chapel lies behind a house fronting Church Lane opposite the Parish Church. It has a later addition parish room to the west dated 1992.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- Situated on Church Street in the centre of Leintwardine, now a private house.(2013 it is still active as above). On the 1846 tithe map the building is shown as a chapel and land under the ownership of Messrs Langford. On the OS map of 1865 it is shown as a Primitive Methodist Chapel.

 

English Heritage, PastScape web site search states :- Monument No. 1499560. Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1841. Rubble walls and slate roof.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 120. LEINTWARDINE. A Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 137. LEINTWARDINE. A Primitive Methodist chapel, with 140 sittings.

 

On the 1885 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chap. Prim.

On the 1904 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Meth. Chap. (Prim)

On the 1975 - 77 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Church.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS Archives hold, Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 - 31 July 1972.

Which state:-In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.

In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.

 

note added Sept 2017 by CH

Joseph Grieves writes about the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel in Leintwardine in the Primitive Methodist magazine (April 1842, page 144-5).  You can see the account in the document attached to this page.

Downloads

Opening of Leintwardine chapel
Opening of Leintwardine chapel (75k)
account of the opening of Leintwardine chapel, transcribed by David Tonks from the Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1842 page 144-145

This page was added by Richard Beck on 07/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.