Ivington Primitive Methodist Chapel
Ivington Green, Leominster Civil Parish, Herefordshire
Location GR – SO 46546 56196
In 2013 this is still a very neatly converted dwelling.
Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A Primitive Methodist Chapel about three miles south-west of Leominster.
There was a society of eight members in Ivington and Newtown in 1848, and an earlier chapel probably existed as there were two services each Sunday in 1882. By 1884 the members numbered only five but this must have improved as the present chapel was opened in 1907. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. G. Page, the Mayoress of Leominster. The Reverend James was the minister and the chapel was built by J. Watkins and Sons. The land had been donated for use as a chapel site by Mrs. Hurry and her sisters.
In 1944 there were 15 members. The chapel was later closed with its last services being held in January 1975.
This chapel is now in private ownership and has been sensitively converted into a small house.
Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 141. LEOMINSTER – IVINGTON. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1907 and will seat about 90 persons.
On the 1928 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as PrimitiveMethodistChurch
On the 1973 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as IvingtonMethodistChurch.
The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps
Methodist Church , Statistical Returns, 1940 – Birmingham District – 212. Leominster – Ivington – Structure, brick. Seating Accomodation, 70. Type of Seating, F. School Hall, -. Other Rooms, -.
These are the chapels (originally PM) listed in 1940 for the Birmingham District – 212. Leominster :- Leominster (Green Lane), Dilwyn, Stockton, Shirlheath, Ivington, Upper Hill, The Hundred, Hatfield, Weobley, Ledgemoor, Tillington, Almeley, Norton’s Wood, Stockmore, Staunton-on-Wye.