Lingen Primitive Methodist Chapel and Graveyard

Photo:Lingen Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

Lingen Primitive Methodist Chapel 2013

R Beck

Photo:Lingen PM Chapel

Lingen PM Chapel

R Beck

Photo:Lingen PM Chapel wall plaque

Lingen PM Chapel wall plaque

R Beck

Photo:Lingen PM Chapel Interior 2013

Lingen PM Chapel Interior 2013

R Beck

Photo:Interior view from the pulpit - 2010

Interior view from the pulpit - 2010

David Hill

Photo:Commemorative stone - pictured 2006

Commemorative stone - pictured 2006

David Hill

Photo:Lingen PM Chapel - 1991

Lingen PM Chapel - 1991

David Hill

Photo:1877 Lingen Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 1993

1877 Lingen Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1993

Keith Guyler 1993

Location of Lingen PM Chapel

Lingen Civil Parish, Herefordshire.

By Richard Beck

Location GR – SO 36572 66893

 

In 2013 this an active Methodist Church which is part of the Southern Area of the Shropshire and Marches Methodist Circuit.

The wall plaque states:- “Primitive Methodist Chapel – 1877 – The Lord Loveth The Gates of Zion”. There is also an assembly room adjoining to the rear of the chapel. There is a neat graveyard to the South and East of the chapel.The graveyard contains some 70 internments listed on Find A Grave in 2013.

 

Herefordshire Through Time web site states :- A Primitive Methodist Chapel, which is marked as such on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1884. It is situated just to the south of the village of Lingen. The chapel is also marked as a place of worship on the modern OS map.

The chapel is of red brick with yellow brick dressings around the corners, doors and windows. Above the pointed arch of the door is a date-tablet of similar architectural style, which reads "Primitive Methodist Chapel 1877, The Lord Loveth The Gates of Zion".

A short history of the Chapel may be found at the Lingen Village website.

 

Kelly’s Directory 1895 Hfds & Salop, P 131. LINGEN. Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels.

Kelly’s Directory 1913 Hfds, P 150. LINGEN. Here are two Primitive Methodist chapels.

 

Click on the link to History on Line to view a map dated 1891.

 

On the 1886 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1903 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1976 OS Herefordshire 1:2,500 map the building is marked as Lingen Methodist Church.

The above maps may be viewed at Old Maps

 

POWYS COUNTY ARCHIVES/ARCHIFAU SIR POWYS Archives hold, Leintwardine Methodist Circuit Preaching Plans, from 13 Oct 1940 - 31 July 1972.

Which state:-In 1940 there were churches at Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Bucknell, Walford, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Clungunford, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry.

In 1972 the churches listed were Leintwardine, Twitchen, Wigmore, Walford cum Bucknell, Adforton, Birtley, Lingen, Crook Mullen, Leinthall Starkes and Aymestry Chapels.

This page was added by Richard Beck on 12/11/2013.