Eastbourne St Aidan's Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Eastbourne St Aidan's Primitive Methodist chapel

Eastbourne St Aidan's Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

former St Aidan's Primitive Methodist chapel at Eastbourne

Whitley Road EASTBOURNE BN22 8NW

By Christopher Hill

This is another of those Primitive Methodist buildings that look a bit too grand to be called a chapel.  The church in Keith Guyler's photograph was designed by Architects Baines and Sonto to provide for residents on the eastern side of Eastbourne. The style was Perpendicular Gothic Revival, and the building was mostly of red brick with some stonework.  It was opened in 1913 and still in use at the time of the photograph.  However, it was demolished in 2001 and replaced from 2003 by retirement/sheltered housing - St Aidan's Court.

Keith Guyler refers to at least two predecessors to this chapel. From 1911 a tin chapel of Congregational origin was used. Before that a chapel of 1897 had been used which was subsequently demolished.

Notes on the Online Parish Clerk site for Sussex say that the first chapel was in Grove Road (1810, classical, rendered). The first building on this [St Aiden's] site (1863-4) was by R K Blessley and was in the Decorated style of flint with stone dressings and pinnacles.  However the site does not make it clear which branches of Methodism or denominations these belonged to.  Can anyone clarify?

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 06/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.