Brighton Sussex Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Sussex Street Brighton BN2 9QJ
Robert Elleray identifies Brighton’s Sussex Street Primitive Methodist chapel as the first Primitive Methodist place of worship in Sussex – the phrase used in an account by John Maylard in the 1856 Primitive Methodist Magazine of the opening of what is called Brighton Primitive Methodist chapel. The chapel was needed; “we are believing for increased usefulness in this populous town, where thousands resort to seek only pleasure alone, and where thousands more are living on the spoils of iniquity“
Opening celebrations took place from July 13th, 1856. Sermons were preached by the Revs. W. B. Stephenson (Wesleyan), R. Hamilton (Independent), Paul Fosket and J. Maylard.
The ground was freehold and the chapel measuring 35 feet by 38 feet was high enough for a gallery. The total cost, including the land, was about £350 of which they owed £150. Particular thanks were due to Mrs. Cheesman for some profitable tea-meetings; the Misses Millyard for diligent collecting; Mr. Chapman for the mason’s work at a reduced price; Mr. Edwards for purchasing the timber, planing the roof, etc., gratuitously; Mr. Dowall for the painting and glazing; Mr. Staley, Mr. Tichbon, and Mr. Chapman.
The Sussex Street area was extensively redeveloped after World War II.
Elleray, D. Robert (2004). Sussex Places of Worship. Worthing: Optimus Books. ISBN 0-9533132-7-1.
Primitive Methodist Magazine September 1856 p.551