The Victoria County History tells us that in 1879 the Primitive Methodists opened a chapel in High Street, east of the town hall, which closed shortly before 1935. It replaced an earlier chapel in West Street.
There’s a mention in the December 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine of the laying of the memorial stones for the new chapel. The January 1880 magazine tells us of the laying of the top stone and the April 1880 magazine contains confirmation of the opening.
On historic Ordnance Survey maps a Methodist chapel is shown on High Street, at the eastern end of the same block as the former Town Hall. Is it the same building now adapted for retail use – in 2019 as a Santander bank?
Victoria County History accessed through British History online at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt1/pp171-172 09/05/2020
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 761
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1880 page 58
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1880 page 251