Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:former Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel

former Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1994

Photo:revised front  at Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel

revised front at Eckington Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill 2014

Photo:Eckington chapel, side view

Eckington chapel, side view

Christopher Hill 2014

former Zion chapel,Eckington

Chesterfield Road, Eckington, Sheffield S21 4BD

By Christopher Hill

The current (2015) Methodist church is on the way out of Eckington on Chesterfield Road.  A plaque above the entrance identifies it as a Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1877.  

The Society goes back at least to 1830.  The return to the Religious Census of 1851  refers to a separate building of 1830 used by a Primitive Methodist congregation. It accommodated 120 and had an estimated congregation on March 30th of 40 in the afternoon and 110 in the evening, with 57 Sunday Scholars attending a morning class, and 65 in the afternoon. The return was completed by John Rose, Chapel Steward, who described himself as a Carpenter, of Mosbro Near Chesterfield.

The chapel was known as Mount Zion.  The front was redesigned in 1996, soon after Keith Guyler's photograph was taken.

The church is joined with the Anglican Mission of St Luke in a Local Ecumenical Partnership.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 13/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.