Allotment Primitive Methodist chapel

But where was it?

By Christopher Hill

The 1832 Primitive Methodist magazine contains an account by T Jackson of the opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at a place called simply "Allottment".

But where was it?  Searching various gazetteers does not identify a place and we don't get the usual information such as the circuit it was in that would enable it to be tracked down.

What we do know is:

  • the chapel opened on 26 February 1832
  • preachers at the opening were Mrs Jackson, Rev Stowell and T Jackson
  • it measured 18'(w) x 30'(l)
  • T Taylor built it free of expense
  • the society had 43 members
  • they planned to start a  Sunday school very soon
  • there was no other church in the village

All suggestions welcome!



Primitive Methodist magazine 1832 page 229

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 30/08/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.