Wooler Cheviot Street Primitive Methodist Chapel Northumberland

This chapel was built in 1896

Rear view of chapel building
1880 Wooler Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1996
Keith Guyler 1996

In 1985 the disused chapel became the Glendale Hall. Since then it has been used by Wooler United Reformed Church and the local community.

Photos taken June 2014

OS Map Ref:75:NT992279

Comments about this page

  • The 1894 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 951 contains a note declaring that “after many years of labour” a new chapel was to be built at Wooler. Previously services were held in an inconvenient room, reached along “a somewhat broken roadway,(which) led up to a narrow passage, at the farther end of which was a flight of steps, which led into a preaching room”. This meant that good work by Prims missionaries benefitted other denominations.

    It was important to have a chapel at Wooler because since the building of the railway made it more accessible as a health resort, and numbers now visit it every summer.

    By Christopher Hill (04/07/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *