“PERCY MAIN. – The first chapel was erected in 1829 at a cost of £100, and the story of its erection is a proof of the loyalty and devotion of its early members. A considerable number of members devoted their leisure to assisting to build the chapel, and others secured the loan of waggons, and brought the stones “down the line” from a quarry four miles away. This chapel was enlarged in 1867. Since then a new schoolroom, with a splendid suite of class-rooms, and afterwards a new chapel, have been built at an expenditure of over £3,000.”
The 1884 Primitive Methodist magazine records the laying of the foundation stones for the new Percy Main Primitive Methodist chapel in the North Shields Station. Friends were “sanguine and hopeful” about it.
Early Twentieth Century Ordnance Survey maps show two Methodist chapels of unidentified denomination within spitting distance of each other to the west of St John’s church – one on Burdon Street and one on St John’s Street. The whole area has been redeveloped since.
Christian Messenger 1908/217
Primitive Methodist magazine 1884 page 316