Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist chapel

Englesea Brook Museum picture and postcard collection

Photo:Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School

Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School

Photo taken by E & R Pearce

Photo:Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School and van park where the Chapel in the first photograph once stood

Burslem Hot Lane Primitive Methodist Sunday School and van park where the Chapel in the first photograph once stood

Photo by E & R Pearce

Photo:One of four foundation stones found on the Sunday School

One of four foundation stones found on the Sunday School

Photo taken by E & R Pearce

Photo:One of four foundation stones found on the Sunday School

One of four foundation stones found on the Sunday School

Photo taken by E & R Pearce

location of former Hot Lane Primitive Methodist chapel, Burslem

Hot Lane, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 2BN

By Christopher Hill

The stone plaque, built into the gable read:"Primitive Methodist Chapel Enlarged 1869".  

The chapel closed in 2004 following a collapse of the roof.

The two storey building was rendered with a buttress at either side. It had a pitched and tiled roof and the entrance has a modern porch. An interesting feature at the rear, on the hidden wall, was a Gothic double header brick arch which extended up to the first floor. 

The Sunday School building, to the left of the chapel, still survives in industrial use as seen in photos 2 and 3.

 

On New Year's Day 1942 an explosion at Sneyd Colliery killed 57 men and boys. On January 1st 2002 a memorial service was held for them at Hot Lane Methodist Church.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 18/01/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.