Bilston Primitive Methodist chapel

High Street, Bilston

Bilston Primitive Methodist chapel and schools; from a postcard sent in 1904
provided by Randle Knight
Bilston Primitive Methodist chapel

The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Bilston was opened in December 1825. Bilston High Street Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in July 1841.

Mr Brueton, the principal mortgagee, gave £53 and a new pulpit. The Duke of Sutherland made the land freehold. Mr G. Jones, himself a Local preacher, gave stones for foundations

Other names mentioned for preaching at the opening and support in the achievement included Mr Thompson who gave liberally; Mr Jones (ironmaster); Col. Anson; Mr Fisher; Mr W. Brownhill (Local preacher); Mr Mills (Wesleyan); Mr Turner; ; Mr E. Thomas (Circuit steward); Mr Hardy; Bro. T. Batty (Dudley); Bro. A. F. Beckerlegge (York); M.C. Buck; E. Grice; R. Jukes.

R Jukes wrote about the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine.

The new chapel measured 13 yards x 14 yards and was 25′ high. It had a tower measuring 10′ x 8′ at the front ‘intended for a town clock‘.

The land had been purchased in 1837 for £272 10s 4d.

The High Street Chapel became the head of the Primitive Methodist Circuit, consisting initially of five chapels but later increasing to eight. A Sunday School was built in 1861 which also acted as a Day School from 1886 until 1906. The High Street Chapel was closed in December 1962 when a number of Methodist churches in Bilston joined together.

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1841 page 20-21

 

Downloads

Primitive Methodist magazine 1842 p20-21 transcribed by David Tonks

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.