Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

Commonpiece Lane/Back Lane, Sutton-on-the-Hill, Derbyshire

Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel
Sutton-on-the-Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel
1838 Sutton on the Hill Primitive Methodist chapel as it was in 1987 | Keith Guyler 1987
1838 Sutton on the Hill Primitive Methodist chapel as it was in 1987
Keith Guyler 1987

Recently, on our trip to Mow Cop we were shown this lovely PM chapel that was sold by auction.  Hope it might be restored to its former glory.  Our local guide informed us that the corner that the chapel sits on is locally known as ‘Ranter’s Corner’.

Comments about this page

  • In the 1820’s Sutton-on-the Hill was one of thirty plus societies on the Burton plan, and the Burton Quarterly minutes for 1824 decreed

    In 1826 Charles Bull of Common Piece farm secured a dissenters’ licence, which allowed meetings to be held there till the opening of the chapel in 1838.

    In the 1851 religious census Sutton declared an average Sunday congregation over the previous year of 130, with on the 30th March, the census day, a morning congregation of 19, an afternoon one of 100, and an evening one of 136.

    The chapel was largely renovated in 1895.

    In 1899 it left the former Burton P.M. circuit to become part of the Burton Parker Street circuit, and in 1966 the then Dove Valley circuit based on Uttoxeter.

    By David Leese (29/01/2017)
  • Sadly our lovely chapel is deteriorating after being sold. We also had also hoped that it might be restored.

    By Joan Lennard (12/10/2012)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone