The Wiltshire community history website tells us that: “The impact of the influential Brinkworth circuit of Primitive Methodism was felt on 8th October 1838, when Joseph Prenton, of Brinkworth, was involved in the licensing of a house of William King for Methodist worship and Mr and Mrs T. Ayliffe moved to Luckington in 1897 and started conducting open air meetings, preaching Primitive Methodism. Mr. Ayliffe was on the committee that in 1903 purchased land from Mr. Boulton for £15, and built a Methodist Chapel on it. The chapel opened on August Bank Holiday 1903 and 200 people from the local chapels attended the first service. “
The chapel, which is a corrugated iron building and one of very few tin chapels still remaining. is still open and witnessing in 2021. Many tin chapels, such as the one in the same circuit at Hay Lane, have disappeared.
Wiltshire Community History website accessed May 9th 2019 at: