Minety Primitive Methodist chapel
Sawyers Hill, Minety, Malmesbury SN16 9QN
The chapel was opened in 1865 and renovated in 1916 using funds raised by the congregation. The Wiltshire Online Parish Clerks website has extracts from the Swindon Advertiser and North Wilts Gazette describing the Foundation service in July 1865 and the opening service in October. At the Foundation service, donors were asked to put their donations on the newly laid foundation stones. The service raised about £40 towards the estimated £160 total cost. So many people attended the opening evening service that it had to adjourn to an adjacent field. By the opening £70 had been raised – but the estimated cost had also risen to £170. “Good collections were made”.
The Western Daily Press of 30th July 1885 recounts the annual Band of Hope outing:
“The Band of Hope in connection with the Primitive Chapel have had their annual outing at Purton. About 50 children left Minety Station by the 12.30 train, under the care of Mr H Fry, assisted by Messrs Sweet, Hendrie and Jones. Through the efforts of Mr Phipin, the stationmaster, the Great Western Railway Co conveyed the party to and from at single fare. The party spent a most enjoyable day.”
It is now private housing.
References: http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Minety/Minety%20-%20Chapel%20Foundation%201865.pdf accessed January 6th 2015
http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Minety/Minety%20-%20Chapel%20Opening%201865.pdf accessed January 6th 2015