Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Keith Guyler 1988

location of former Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel

Ardleigh Road Great Bromley Colchester CO7 7TL.

By Christopher Hill

Burnt Heath Primitive Methodist chapel in Ardleigh Road Great Bromley near Colchester dates from 1861.  At the time of Keith Guyler's picture in 1988 it was still in use but planning permission for conversion to a house was granted in 1999.  That's the use in Google Street View in September 2012.

The laying of the foundation stone of the chapel is recorded by J Fortress in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1862. The society had previously met in a cottage which had become too small.  Preachers at the ceremony and following tea meeting on October 23rd included  Rev Yeadon as well as Mr Fortress.

The new chapel was planned to be 30' x 22'.


 

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine of 1862.

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 26/05/2015.
Comments about this page

Detail of the laying of the foundation stone added above.

By Christopher Hill
On 24/05/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.