The 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note of the opening of a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Bergholt. It doesn’t tell us whether it is West or East Bergholt, but as it does tell us it was in the Hadleigh station rather than Colchester, it is much more likely to be East Bergholt. The new chapel cost £550 of which they expected to raise half.
The 1904 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the north side of White Horse Road, just west of its junction with Mill Road. It was replaced by a new chapel built on the rear of the same site in 1937 and in use until the 1980’s. The area where the first building was is now used as a car park.
The rather elegant 1937 Art Deco building is now in commercial use.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1879 page 762