Eight Ash Green Primitive Methodist Chapel

2nd chapel, built in 1933 | Keith Guyler, 1986
2nd chapel, built in 1933
Keith Guyler, 1986

Primitive Methodists began meeting at Ford-Ham Heath in 1852 and a chapel for PM worship was first built in 1866. However, it was replaced in 1933 by a chapel built in Halstead Road in Eight Ash Green. It was built from wooden timber and stuck to the tradition of buildings lacking any grandeur. This chapel was extended in 1975 and again in 1986.

 

Sources;

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15246

Comments about this page

  • This chapel was originally part of the West Bergholt ‘Station’ (Circuit). Even by 1886 they were not listed on the Colchester P M Plan. The church at Eight Ash Green was never P M, having been opened after Union. After Circuit reorganisation, the church was reformed as the ‘Tollgate Methodist Community’, and is currently a Class of Lexden Methodist and a house church.

    By Brian Clow (25/04/2020)
  • The land was purchased for £35 The Chapel closed in 2017/18

    By MARTIN BROOM (13/01/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *